Okay to add 2 Shubunkins to my pond with Koi and Comets?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I found 2 shubunkins online Id like to buy from koitotheworld (dot com). (Didn't want the link to pop up to annoy a viewer). Will the shubunkins be okay with the Koi and Comets? I'm asking before I purchase because I made the mistake of adding an Oranda to the pond earlier in the season and the comets annoyed him to the point where he got so stressed out I think he had a heart attack. I don't need to throw my money away like that again but more importantly I don't want any fish to die or be unhappy. Also, anybody have any feedback on that website I mentioned?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had mixes of shubunkins and comets, no issues. The shubbies seem to be calmer than the comets. I do not have koi so can't answer that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi, goldfish, fantails and 1 shubbie they seem fine together

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like addy, I have both comets and shubunkins and they do well together. I don't have koi, but I imagine they'd all be fine together.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shubunkins are just tri-colored gold fish. Some might, but I don't consider them fancies as they are every bit as hardy. Your only limitation would be the size of your pond and current fish load. And as mentioned, quarantine them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Plan on quarantining the new fish.

What is the correct procedure on quarantining the new fish? Please explain in detail as I never done this. Everytime I have purchased a new fish I came home from the store and placed the water and oxygen filled bags the fish were put in directly in the water for about an hour. After an hour I opened the bags and let the fish in the pond. I realize now that in case the new fish had a disease when putting it in the pond it could infect all the fish. I want to do it correctly this time therefore can specific instructions be shared? Thank you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the correct procedure on quarantining the new fish? Please explain in detail as I never done this. Everytime I have purchased a new fish I came home from the store and placed the water and oxygen filled bags the fish were put in directly in the water for about an hour. After an hour I opened the bags and let the fish in the pond. I realize now that in case the new fish had a disease when putting it in the pond it could infect all the fish. I want to do it correctly this time therefore can specific instructions be shared? Thank you
The basic quarantine procedure itself is very simple. Where you come into issues is that, like everything else, opinions vary.

To keep it as simple and straightforward as possible -- what you are doing is isolating the new fish for a period of time. Your goals are to 1) observe the new fish for potential diseases/parasites, 2) if necessary, treat the new fish, and 3) protect your existing fish [the ones already in your pond] from anything the new fish might be carrying. Oh, and you're also giving the new fish a chance to de-stress and "chill" -- a stressed fish is more susceptible to disease. #4 reason is actually an advantage -- you get to interact with the fish and they get to know you which [I've noticed] tends to make them friendlier and less skittish, plus they seem to adapt better once they go in the pond :)

How long to quarantine? That depends on who you talk to. I go for a minimum of 4 weeks. Some say 6+ weeks. Basically, you want to give a disease/parasite a chance to manifest itself, if there is one present. I'm sure there is an incubation period for these, but I figure 4 weeks is long enough for something to show up.

How to do it? What ever works best for you. What to keep in mind is that you don't want to add stress for the new fish, so.......

Container size -- needs to be large enough to accomodate the fish without over crowding. I wouldn't go smaller than 50 gallons. A large aquarium (for smaller fish), a kiddie pool, a stock tank, a large plastic tote.......... It needs to be deep enough so that it doesn't overheat in the warmer months [if outdoors]. And esp if shallow, a cover so the fish don't jump out or get preyed on (plastic mesh is good).

Water quality -- needs to remain pristine. Which means either very frequent water changes or an adequate filtration system. And/or both. And by "frequent," depending on size of the container and number of fish, this could be as often as once a day. Always add a dechlor if you have city water.

And of course, that means testing the water often ("often" is whatever you're comfortable with and depending on what method of filtration/water change you use).

At minimum, an air pump to add O2 and keep the water circulating.

If doing this outdoors, I would have a thermometer to measure water temp, esp. during warmer months.

Feeding -- opinions vary. Feeding very lightly will reduce the amt. of fish waste which will help with water quality.

Have dedicated supplies that are used only for the QT to avoid cross contamination.
Here's what I do (and from what I've read, I'm on the conservative side): Minimum 4 weeks. I have a large, 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank (it's only that BIG because I had to temp. house all my fish one winter -- yours wouldn't have to be that big). I have a DIY trickle tower and a couple of airstones. I keep a few goldfish in there all the time, to keep the filter cycled. So far, I've never had a fish in QT that turned out to be sick, so I let this system run all the time. IF I were ever to have an outbreak of something, I would have to decontaminate the entire tank, TT, pumps, and all, which would knock out the current bio [you get the idea....]. But I've tried the "frequent water change" method, and it drove me crazy trying to keep ahead of the ammonia.

Oh, and once I set up a large tote in our guest bathtub [son was at college, but wasn't too happy about it when he came home on the w/ends, tee hee] and set up a 2nd tote above it for a gravity water exchange system. I had to be creative and had strategically sized & placed holes drilled. Every 24 hours or so, I'd fill the top tote with treated water. That water would drip into the bottom tote, where the fish were. Then the excess water would drain out and go down the tub drain. It worked great! I could go away for the weekend and Hubby didn't have to worry about anything except adding the fresh water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
The basic quarantine procedure itself is very simple. Where you come into issues is that, like everything else, opinions vary.

To keep it as simple and straightforward as possible -- what you are doing is isolating the new fish for a period of time. Your goals are to 1) observe the new fish for potential diseases/parasites, 2) if necessary, treat the new fish, and 3) protect your existing fish [the ones already in your pond] from anything the new fish might be carrying. Oh, and you're also giving the new fish a chance to de-stress and "chill" -- a stressed fish is more susceptible to disease. #4 reason is actually an advantage -- you get to interact with the fish and they get to know you which [I've noticed] tends to make them friendlier and less skittish, plus they seem to adapt better once they go in the pond :)

How long to quarantine? That depends on who you talk to. I go for a minimum of 4 weeks. Some say 6+ weeks. Basically, you want to give a disease/parasite a chance to manifest itself, if there is one present. I'm sure there is an incubation period for these, but I figure 4 weeks is long enough for something to show up.

How to do it? What ever works best for you. What to keep in mind is that you don't want to add stress for the new fish, so.......

Container size -- needs to be large enough to accomodate the fish without over crowding. I wouldn't go smaller than 50 gallons. A large aquarium (for smaller fish), a kiddie pool, a stock tank, a large plastic tote.......... It needs to be deep enough so that it doesn't overheat in the warmer months [if outdoors]. And esp if shallow, a cover so the fish don't jump out or get preyed on (plastic mesh is good).

Water quality -- needs to remain pristine. Which means either very frequent water changes or an adequate filtration system. And/or both. And by "frequent," depending on size of the container and number of fish, this could be as often as once a day. Always add a dechlor if you have city water.

And of course, that means testing the water often ("often" is whatever you're comfortable with and depending on what method of filtration/water change you use).

At minimum, an air pump to add O2 and keep the water circulating.

If doing this outdoors, I would have a thermometer to measure water temp, esp. during warmer months.

Feeding -- opinions vary. Feeding very lightly will reduce the amt. of fish waste which will help with water quality.

Have dedicated supplies that are used only for the QT to avoid cross contamination.
Here's what I do (and from what I've read, I'm on the conservative side): Minimum 4 weeks. I have a large, 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank (it's only that BIG because I had to temp. house all my fish one winter -- yours wouldn't have to be that big). I have a DIY trickle tower and a couple of airstones. I keep a few goldfish in there all the time, to keep the filter cycled. So far, I've never had a fish in QT that turned out to be sick, so I let this system run all the time. IF I were ever to have an outbreak of something, I would have to decontaminate the entire tank, TT, pumps, and all, which would knock out the current bio [you get the idea....]. But I've tried the "frequent water change" method, and it drove me crazy trying to keep ahead of the ammonia.

Oh, and once I set up a large tote in our guest bathtub [son was at college, but wasn't too happy about it when he came home on the w/ends, tee hee] and set up a 2nd tote above it for a gravity water exchange system. I had to be creative and had strategically sized & placed holes drilled. Every 24 hours or so, I'd fill the top tote with treated water. That water would drip into the bottom tote, where the fish were. Then the excess water would drain out and go down the tub drain. It worked great! I could go away for the weekend and Hubby didn't have to worry about anything except adding the fresh water.

Wow. I really appreciate that but to be honest with you I don't have the will to do all that. I know and completely trust thats exactly what SHOULD be done but to be honest with you I would never do that. I purchased the 2 shubunkins, placed the bag they were put in at the store in the pond for an hour and then let them loose. I know the possibilites but Ill roll the dice on the parasites. I will keep an eye on their behavior and hopefully if something is wrong I will remove the fish. My pond should be large enough not to have a 6 inch fish infect 5K gallons...I guess we will see. Every fish I have ever purchased I used this method and so far luck has been on my side...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the correct procedure on quarantining the new fish? Please explain in detail as I never done this. Everytime I have purchased a new fish I came home.... I want to do it correctly this time therefore can specific instructions be shared? Thank you

Then why did you post this?????

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Then why did you post this?????

You ask why keyboard commando? I posted it thinking it should be alot easier than quaranting a fish for 4-6 weeks placing them in a huge tub that I dont own and having to do frequent water changes. I never expected a 4-6 week quarantine. Thats why I asked....Let's be honest here....they are fish not adopted children from a third world country. Having a pond is a great hobby but the problem is some people have very strong opinions on the right way of doing things. Some say salt the pond. Others say hell no dont salt. Some say add beneficial bacteria. Some say total waste of money. Some say add algaecide. Some say dont bother. Its pretty funny but at the end of the day its suppose to be a fun hobby not a chore. You would think some people on here were debating about whether we should invade a country or not when it comes to pond ideas. Having a strong opinion is never good and I see that alot on here

Last edited:

Ask a Question