Okay this project started as a dog pool...

I

imbaddakota

I have two great danes who like water so I bought a kiddie pool, it broke in a day. So I decided to make them a larger one using a stock tank from tractor supply (8ft round x 2ft deep), well that was $350 plus $200 delivery so I decided to just dig one myself. I nestled it in my L shaped raised garden that is 1 ft high, the interior space I used is 9ft x 15ft, then I dug 1 ft down in a box shape 6ft x 11ft, so it is about 1400-1500 gallons. The dirt was all rich and fine, so there were no rocks, but I lined the shape with a strong tarp, then on that I used sand on the very bottom and dense foam interlocking panels (like on playgrounds) along the 18 inch shelf. I used pavers to edge the two sides not up against the dirt, then used treated plywood to form a 1ft high box on all sides above ground, leveled, then put in the .45 mil edpm liner. I set up a temporary waterfall so the mosquitoes stay out while I put together the final one.

MyPondStart.jpg

My intention was to leave it just like this (except the waterfall), but I really love it and already know I will put plants and lights in it and who knows what else, haha. I have lots of bowling ball sized rocks I can add to the shelf, but I really want to cover the black liner in a way that will not make it high maintenance. The reason I want to do this is because for some stupid reason, the company I got the liner from printed "Made in the USA" and a bunch of numbers and product ids on BOTH sides in light blue ink. I really hate them for that.

Question 1: I read here that substrate is bad (sand, rocks, etc.), so can I get some tan canvas and push it to the bottom and weigh it down with the rocks I have? I want something natural looking that the dogs can step on.

Question 2: if I have a skimmer, do I need a filter before plants are in there? I don't think I will get any plants until next year.

Question 3: Should I drain the top part for the winter?

Question 4: Are there some problems with this pond I don't even realize?

Thanks in advance!!! And sorry this is so long!
Dakota

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to you and your dogs! They are very lucky pups! And Great Danes, no less! You may find that you're going to need a bigger pond, LOL!

Dog claws can be hard on liners. But maybe not, it will depend on your dogs, I guess. Since it's not too deep, they might not have any issues getting in or out [trying to get out is when most problems with punctures happen].

If you try to sink anything to the bottom, even holding it down with rocks, it's going to tend to want to either float back up in spots, or get all wadded up with the dogs moving around on it. And this just might be my own paranoia, but I can see dogs getting their feet/legs either caught by big rocks, or pulling down anything your put on the edges [unless you "cement" them down.]. Trying to cover the liner with something might end up making it more high maint. than leaving it alone.

As far as the writing goes...... Mine says "Fish Safe" all over it [we didn't pay attention to which side the writing was on when we installed it], so at least I know that my fish know they're safe, LOL! Well, depending on how much activity there is, chances are the liner will end up coated with algae and/or dirt over time and the writing may or may not continue to be visible. You might want to see if there is some kind of product that can be applied to give a rougher surface for the dogs, or maybe do something like cement a layer of flat, thin pavers along the bottom for footing. Since you're not keeping fish, the substrate issue [like with pavers] shouldn't be an issue, esp if you can vacuum the dirt out if it gets too dirty down there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome!
Nice pond you have.
I'm with Mmathis that dogs claw might be an issue. I'd think a 1 or 2 layers or river rocks should be good. It's not going to trap too many things if you dog would be in there stirring things up often, or even once in a while. The reason why we dont like it is because muck from fish poop and other sediment can accumulate so it make more work to have to try to clean the pond often so the muck won't trap any gas build up. And it's easier to clean the muck without all that rocks! But if you are not having fish and the dog will stir things up, you should be fine with rocks. And I think you should have them so the dogs have some purchase of the ground and doesn't have to dig into the liner.

How cold do you get? I don't think you need to worry about ice. I dont think you need to drain the top part for winter.

You can have a leaf basket before the pump in the skimmer. i don't have one and I have to clean my pump of fallen leaves once in a while.

I can't think of any problem other than your dogs might tear the liner and, if any, the plants you might put in there ;)

I

imbaddakota

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice!

My dogs are spoiled rotten, but as I do a lot of gardening they know to leave my plants alone, lol, so I am not worried about that as much as them tripping on the hoses or wires for the pump that is in there and tearing the liner. Another issue I have is with overflow since we have had a lot of rain this year.

So in addition to adding the rocks, i think I am going to return the skimmer I ordered that would sit at water level and put a 24 inch pondless waterfall in the front that would spill into a basin covered with a screen of pea gravel and set the pump in there, which would then run to the filter (or the waterfalls if I don't end up needing a filter). That should take off residue and leaves, etc. from the top of the water like a skimmer, keep the hoses out of the pond itself then I just have to clear that every so often. Honestly, the best part is that the dogs will drink out of the spillway and not the pond itself which puts less slobber in the pond, haha.

I also realized in watching my little temporary waterfall that it does not make enough noise and does not agitate enough of the water surface so I think I will add a second one to help push things around.

If you all don't mind another question, what product works best in sealing the gap between the line and the capstones at the top? Waterfall foam seems very messy, so is there something like caulk that would not eat the liner, but form a watertight seal?

Thanks again for all the help!
Dakota

MyPondStart.jpg

I

imbaddakota

Welcome!
How cold do you get? I don't think you need to worry about ice. I dont think you need to drain the top part for winter.

Thanks! I am in indianapolis, so it does get cold but I don't know if it would all freeze over, so winters maybe, but not every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think if you worry about mosquitoes you should put small fish in there. Mosquitoes fish would do that. I have a few tropical fish in my pond during summer and take them out when the winter sets in. If you worry that they will reproduce to quickly, just add male fish, you can tell male guppy from female the easiest so I'd choose them.

I like the idea of pond less waterfall!. My pond doesn't have a lot of water movement right now (overflow so the water just flow from my stream to the pond, no agitation what so ever) but water Lilly loves it that way.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use pl roofing goop for water tight seals. Comes in a tube. You do need the surface to be dry, it does not attach well if damp.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...-Sealant-1675273/203163733?keyword=pl+roofing

3b1a9cc2-2fce-4eae-898f-22f38190e4e1_400.jpg
Yes, this is what most ponders have found to work the best. Just beware that it's messy so wear old clothes, and gloves wouldn't be a bad idea. And like Addy said, be sure the surfaces are dry and clean. If you read the label, it says something about not using it in continuously wet areas, but I have never read or heard of a case where this was an issue.

Oh, and 2 more things! First of all, we need to see pictures of your dogs! And second, be aware that this is the first step for turning you into a pond-person!

I

imbaddakota

Here they are!!! Milo and Havoc!!!

MrMan1.jpg
IMG_2028.JPG

I went and got the adhesive today (Yes, I can feel my pond addiction growing as my wallet shrinks!)

I also hooked up the filter, but I can't get the connections to stop leaking! The gaskets look fine, but hand tightening didn't work, loosening didn't work, and I chewed one up a bit trying the wrench and terrycloth. Loctite didn't help either. Should I add a second gasket?

Thanks!
Dakota

I

imbaddakota

Oh one more question (probably not the last, haha)

The power cord on the pump I have is long, but not long enough, is there a safe way to extend that without having to install an outlet by a body of water?

Thx!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh one more question (probably not the last, haha)

The power cord on the pump I have is long, but not long enough, is there a safe way to extend that without having to install an outlet by a body of water?

Thx!
I ran mine on a heavy duty extension cord for years. Protect the cord (put in pvc)hurt when you chop it with a shovel, protect the ends.

Ask a Question