It pays to check your equipment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We had a disaster narrowly averted yesterday afternoon when I noticed during a water change that my 3500 pump had quit on me and was running red hot..
Due to my legs being bad we had to call for help asap which came in the form of a club member who took the pump off line to see what the problem was,
It turned out to be a bit of K1 that had got though ithe defences put in place to stop this happening but we hadn't reconedon a smaller bit of K1 .
When everything was cool again we checked it removed the bit of k1
Thankfuilly being quick on our toes so to speak averted as full scale disaster from happening but it does go to show know your pond and equipment especially how things normally sound.
Had it been today with temperatures the highest in decades at 29c with a pond temperature of 21c we narrowly averted a disaster on a grand scale.

rgrds

Dave .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Close call and nice catch.

It seems the bigger the Koi the more oxygen it needs in the water. Did you rig some sort of shade ?

We are supposed to hit 102F/39C today and we will be out of town for dentist appointments that start at 1PM. I do not expect trouble but you can bet I will be checking everything as soon as we arrive home.

Reaction score
Good catch Dave. We were really hot here over the weekend, so I wanted to do a partial water change to cool the pond down a bit. It was good timing too. Hubby noticed his pump was laboring (outflow was reduced), and turned out there was a bit of gravel in there. Have no clue how it got in there, but glad I wanted to do a water change or we may have missed the pump issue here. If that pumped died, we could have kept the fish safe, but it would have been costly to replace.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that's why I use 2 pumps it can be scarey when one goes out and you have to try and find another one or get that one working .I just hope both of mine never go out at the same time .OH but i do have the 2 small pumps one in each of the stock tanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The pond has a supply of air seperate to everything all but one of the filters have air pumped directly too them so the koi were ok as that goes but after a few days had I missed it things would have turned rank in there pretty darn quickly.
But in answer to your questions weve now had a chat with our good friend Steve F :blueflower: (we know a numbers if Steve's so we prefix them all with first inital of last name)... He arrived this evening to fix times dor the show i:e times to pick us up etc,now our Steve is an Ebay man is our Steve lol and would you believe it he just so happened to have two "in line dry pumps", that he bought just a few days ago,
going cheap one good owner mate !!!...
We all know the drill "how Much"Steve ???
We have a large parasol that half covers the pond for most of the day then the smaller bench parasol takes over for the rest of the day. So as you can see for most of the day as the sun moves around we have part of the pond covered.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question