jmk

jmk

Reaction score
hi everyone i,m new to this just finished my pond bought 2 fish 5 days ago how long does it take for them to come round still on the bottom seem very shy any advice would be welcome

Reaction score
It took my fish 1 to 2 weeks before they were real comfortable with me standing there. Give them time and spend some time sitting by the pond. It's well worth the wait:fish2:

Reaction score
We've had ours in the larger pond for about 2 months and they're still a bit shy. They come up for eating and are used to us just walking around the pond but if I kneel down at the edge or lean over the pond they tend to take off. We had a heron a month or so ago that snagged one of the Koi, so that might be part of the reason for ours still being a bit skittish.

We've had our fantails in the small pond for a couple weeks...they're still very skittish. When they come to the surface, I have to walk slowly to even get a look (I just had a chance to notice the silver one has completely changed color...it's now shades of brown.). As soon as they notice I'm near they take off. They're getting better about coming to the surface to eat with me near but they don't stay there for long.

Reaction score
It’s taken mine about a month or so too but, they don't fear me much anymore. One thing that is cool is that I have a concrete bench that is not quite level. Every time I sit down on that bench they can hear it and come running whether I feed them or not. Highly recommend the banging a rock or something before feeding cause they learn it quick.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I haven't added any Shubunkins to my small pond for two months now, but the last two I introduced didn't come out of hiding for about two weeks. I think part of that is because they were only two inches long, much smaller than the rest of the Shubunkins.

My pond is heavely planted with both water lilies and bog plants. I feel that I have a good balance of plants in my pond that provide good cover for the fish that are a little more skidisih than the rest.

For the most part, they all go into a feeding frenzy when I feed them.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Not sure how well planted your pond is, but the more nature you create for your fish the better. What I mean is, give them as much plant life as your pond will allow and your fish will be more at ease with their surroundings.

I have as much bog plants around my pond as the pond shelves will allow, and I have five potted lillies pad plants that create a lot of surface coverage.

jmk

Reaction score
thankyou everyone they have just started to come out i only have a small ponde18inches deep 2foot wide 6foot long got some airaters in and two plants gust going to see how it goes thankyou all again linda jmk

jmk

Reaction score
i have sent you some pics of my pond i have 3 fish now and are all doing fine we are in the process of putting a waterfall in

Attachments

• 100_0274.jpg
    100_0274.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 278

Ask a Question