Just sharing some baby pictures:-)

Reaction score
This spring was the first time we tried to save some babies to grow out (and had some spawn in QT)... I posted some pictures when the older kids were in the newly hatched to 1" size, just thought I would share some more recent pictures that I got today:) Nothing "fancy" just pond grade, but been having fun watching them grow:)

The pictures with the black liner are the older kids. Most are now 3 - 3.5" in size, but there are a few that are about 2"... They are about half comets (neat watching some change to orange), a couple of shubbies, and a mix of standard and butterfly koi (possibly a couple of hybrids too)...

The ones in the blue kiddie pool are mostly koi, but a couple of comets and shubbies were thrown in too. The smallest are about half an inch, with a few 3" monsters that are faster than I am with the net to move them to be with the older kids;-)

DSCN4772.jpg

DSCN4773.jpg

DSCN4777.jpg

DSCN4778.jpg

DSCN4781.jpg

DSCN4792.jpg

DSCN4796.jpg

DSCN4791.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are some nice Koi babies in there! First pic at the top is a butterfly I like, and in the blue pool the metalic yellows look pretty interesting as well. :beerchug:

Reaction score
Hopefully I didnt "toss" the best ones into the upper pond (most got eaten), or give them away. There were just way too many of them! I had read that babies are fragile and would lose most of them... ya, about that! We had about 2000 in the QT spawn... none of them were dying. I did lose about a dozen to a filter goof, but that was it.

I think you picked out my two favorites LOL.

In the top picture... for lack of better wording, a white butterfly, with a black saddle, black tail, yellow on the sides, white belly and yellow spot on his (or her) face is the one I thought was a gin matsuba til we netted it. This picture does it no justice.

The close up with the metallic yellow is my favorite from the kiddie pool. Not only pretty, but already super friendly.

Reaction score
I like the orange one in the first pic on the left with the black splotch down its back and dots under it, it's really interesting

I like him/her too... unfortunately, it is just going through a color change:-( Still learning, but some of the comets stay blackish with a gold belly, and others go completely orange. A couple of weeks ago this one (and a couple others) were really neat looking... they were still black, but only had an orange mask. I wish they would keep some of the black blotches. Need more color variety in the comets. Next year:)

Reaction score
Top pic, white with gold and blck patch. only one that color on the left.

My favorite one!

That is the first shubunkin baby we caught. Thinking of keeping this one and naming it something to do with mystery, as I have no clue what it is going to do color wise. It was tiny (maybe a 1/4") when caught, and then it was pure white.. then it went almost solid red, with a massive black stripe down its back, and now this goldish and white color, and the black is fading. None of the adult shubbies come close to this color or pattern. A couple have a lot of red with black spots/blotches, and the rest are blue and black...

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Those are nice, I see in the first picture there are a few that look like they have some yellow on their face, but then black down their back, with silver undersides.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Like them all, lots of neat babies...........who knows what color they will all end up being but it's so much fun watching, everyone loves a mystery :ph34r:

Reaction score
I am liking the variety:) In the bigger babies, I dont know what the color names would be, but the ones with the black backs, even tho similar in color, have two different scale patterns. I'm presently the most curious of the smallest babies (were spawned in QT). A couple are "white" and wonder if they are gonna go blue (one of the known dads was blue), and a couple have white spots coming in... both moms have white in the same area (one mom is a hana shushui and the other is an orange matsuba - or similar if I am calling the name wrong). Also wondering of the smallest babies, how many may be dotsu... I'll have the whole fall and winter to watch. I may throw the comets back out to the pond. Kept them in to watch how they would change color... the koi are the ones I am most interested in.

Ask a Question