Keeping koi out of the hornwort

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@John O Hopefully some of this information will be helpful for you! Sorry about hi-jacking your thread, but sometimes it happens! Through your thread here, I've just learned more than I ever knew about hornwort, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
So..what do you guys do to keep submerged plants from being eaten up? I have had the three koi from when they were 4 inches to now where they are 18 inches (about) I end up with mostly hyacinth and Lotus plants and two bullrush. I lost a few lilies over the years due to weather or poor planting by me. Two other ponds in the yard have thriving submerged plants but they only have goldfish. This winter I lost the dwarf papyrus.
Thanks, John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is a link that might be helpful https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/floating-planter-rings.2581/

Some koi ponders come up with things like this planter ring that lets the plant stay in the water, but protects it somewhat from munching fish. It works better for some plants than for others.

So it kinda depends on what type plants you are wanting to grow.....floaters, submerged, shelf/marginals......

I don't have koi -- goldfish only -- so it's not been an issue with my pond. But one solution if you want koi and also want plants is to build a bog garden adjacent to your pond. Bog gardens are the best of both worlds in that they can also be used to filter the water. Addy1 is our resident "bog" consultant. If you're interested, here's a link to her thread https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I was thinking about adding a bog next to my stream. I thought of tapping water off the stream bed into the bog

Ask a Question