Koi hit by lightning

Reaction score
My pond recently got hit by lightning. I have 8 large koi and unfortunately 1 died and another seems paralyzed. He lays on the pond floor most of the time, but does move around from spot to spot throughout the day. He hasn’t lost the will to live, and will swim (awkwardly) away if I try to net him. The first day or 2, when he wasn’t swimming he was flipped upside down on the bottom. Now he’s more like a flounder on his side.

I think he may have some internal injuries. Has anyone experineed something like this? Is there a chance he could get better?

Attachments

• 8F5645F7-BD4B-40BA-9E42-3C9EBCB1DC2D.jpeg
    8F5645F7-BD4B-40BA-9E42-3C9EBCB1DC2D.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, that's horrible!
Sorry to hear that!
I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before.
Just curious, how do you know it was lightning? Did you actually see it happen? That's scary!

Reaction score
I saw the pond area light up and the house shook during a lightning storm. All the pond equipment and outdoor outlet was destroyed :( luckily I had an extension cord and an old pond pump on hand to keep the water circulating. There was a tear in the liner, but luckily the damage was minor. I read that fish near the surface would get most of the hit, and fish at the bottom would be protected. My guess is the little guy was surfacing when the pond got hit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have indeed heard of this and sad to say a fish in the condition you described is probably on it's way out. You say it hasn't "lost the will to live" but that's really not a thing - it's instinct is to swim away if it's able, no matter how grave it's condition. Whether you choose to let the fish die naturally or euthanize it is up to you.

As a side note - how big is your pond? Size is hard to gauge from photos, but it does appear your pond may be on the small size for "8 large koi".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I saw the pond area light up and the house shook during a lightning storm. All the pond equipment and outdoor outlet was destroyed :( luckily I had an extension cord and an old pond pump on hand to keep the water circulating. There was a tear in the liner, but luckily the damage was minor. I read that fish near the surface would get most of the hit, and fish at the bottom would be protected. My guess is the little guy was surfacing when the pond got hit.
Wow! That's crazy that you saw it happen. What are the chances of that?
Very unfortunate for your fish and all your electrical equipment. Bummer...but glad nobody was out there when it happened.

Reaction score
Yes I agree it’s too small for the amount of koi. We recently purchased this house with the pond and it’s inhabitants. Of the 2 largest, 1 died from the lightning and the other is now injured.

I don’t think I could euthanize him, he still comes to the surface for feedings.

Reaction score
Wow! That's crazy that you saw it happen. What are the chances of that?
Very unfortunate for your fish and all your electrical equipment. Bummer...but glad nobody was out there when it happened.
The crazy part was, there was no rain at the time... and the pond is surround by large trees and a bird feeder on a metal pole. Just a crazy freak accident.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have goldfish. I have noticed the occasional death following a particularly bad thunder storm. I’ve also heard of people with koi reporting a “bent spine,” but not necessarily death. Whatever is the cause of the problem with this fish, it doesn’t look good. Yes, there is always the chance for an improvement, but if the fish doesn’t show further signs of improvement, you might want to consider euthanasia— it’s the kindest thing to do, for the fish.

Reaction score
great news today! The koi hit by lightning has started swimming normally again. The koi was sort of a flounder for the past few weeks but now it’s swimming upright like before.

I have goldfish. I have noticed the occasional death following a particularly bad thunder storm. I’ve also heard of people with koi reporting a “bent spine,” but not necessarily death. Whatever is the cause of the problem with this fish, it doesn’t look good. Yes, there is always the chance for an improvement, but if the fish doesn’t show further signs of improvement, you might want to consider euthanasia— it’s the kindest thing to do, for the fish.

Ask a Question