Koi fish has 2 unknown white growths

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to owning a pond with koi fish. Last week I noticed only one of my koi fish has two white growths on the middle of its body on the scales. I was able to isolate it in a temporary tank with bubblers and was recommended by a fish shop to give it a few rounds of antibiotics. After the few rounds the growths have not improved. During a water change mid week the large growth partially tore off leaving a red wound. After a few days with antibiotics the wound appears to have closed. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Kind of looks like koi pox but it’s not clear or pinkish. Should I attempt to give a salt bath before reintroducing it to the pond with the other fish?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 432E60DB-C965-45BF-9FF8-B632170C8674.jpeg
    432E60DB-C965-45BF-9FF8-B632170C8674.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Zanzibar - it's not uncommon for fish problems to bring people here to the GPF. We hope you'll stick around!

So the "fish shop" recommended antibiotics without knowing or telling you what they thought was wrong? That doesn't speak well for their helpfulness! I feel the same way about animals as I do humans - don't use antibiotics UNLESS it's a bacterial issue you're trying to treat.

Anyway, off the soap box. I'm not a fish health expert, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here. I do agree with you that that it's not koi pox.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1568476086727.gif
@Zanzibar
Sorry for your koi but I only have goldfish and don't know what those bumps could be. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you but if not there is a site called Koiphen.com that has many members who know a bunch about koi.

Ask a Question