Koi Identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Recently acquired a new koi and have no idea what variety it might be. It was my lovely wife’s pick due to its unique appearance. Pics don’t do it justice and is better looking in person. Any help from more knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DA7F8396-1081-41FF-97C7-8455DD25D9E6.jpeg
    DA7F8396-1081-41FF-97C7-8455DD25D9E6.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 518
  • DF796B2B-902F-457A-B786-58265B2E90A3.jpeg
    DF796B2B-902F-457A-B786-58265B2E90A3.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 526
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't know anything at all about koi -- but that is a really neat looking fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no clue either, but it sure is neat looking

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@REK9 Hello and welcome!

I don’t know anything about koi, either, but I always say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder — fish that I think are gorgeous usually end up being others’ toss-outs!

Maybe if you could get a better picture of it......? How big is it? I can’t even tell for sure that it’s a koi.

Oh, and please go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about your pond! Are you new at keeping koi? I sort of got that impression. We love to see pond pics as well, so let us see what your pond looks like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

Recently acquired a new koi and have no idea what variety it might be. It was my lovely wife’s pick due to its unique appearance. Pics don’t do it justice and is better looking in person. Any help from more knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hmmm... It looks a lot like a common carp. Did you get it in a store?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes we purchased it in a store. Sorry my pics aren’t the greatest but I do believe it is not a common carp.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After some research I think it might be a mirror carp. Pretty frustrating because we bought it from a reputable koi and pond store in our area. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... It looks a lot like a common carp. Did you get it in a store?

I was going to suggest the same thing. The patterning looks similar to these that are in a nearby lake.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what the fish is categorized as if you like it. But if the store is selling these as something else I would address it with them.

Carp.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I meant to mention - I took photos of these carp, knowing they were "just" common carp, because I thought they were so pretty! So I agree with your wife!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello, I saw this picture of a koi fish like yours when looking at fish online, I remember seeing them and thinking that they are lovely, so I agree with your wife. This one looks somewhat like yours, this is a gin rin armor koi.
20181030_082140~2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

Thanks

Considering you bought it in a store it probably is a variety of Koi. Perhaps it is a Chagoi. They typically come in solid colors in shades of brown and sometimes have metallic scales. They are known as the friendliest Koi, grow pretty large, and will typically will eat out of your hand. A lot of Koi owners like to have one Chagoi in their pond so the other fish become more friendly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't really tell from those pics, sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Just guessing but looks like our river carps although a slight variation to scales a little. Funny thinking of the sensitive koi conversation as we have 30 pound carps like that one filling our rivers near hydro dams. They are very golden and huge scales, run very close to shore perhaps I should put one in my pond.

Ask a Question