New koi laying on the bottom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Down to minus 5 deg celsius on rate occasions
Country
United Kingdom
I have been keeping koi for 1 year now. All my fish are healthy except 1 now the weather has got cold he lays on the bottom of the pond. I have had the water tested on it is fine. It is a 12,000 litre pond with an eazypod filter. I fetched him indoors and he perked up. Back in the pond he lays on the bottom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So the pond is about 3000 gallons if my conversion skills are good - how many koi do you have in the pond? How cold is your water right now? Are acclimating the fish to the temperature of the pond or just putting it in? Did you quarantine this new fish?

I know you said your water tested "fine" - those here who are more knowledgable about water testing will want to know exact numbers and what type of test kit you are using - strips or liquid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Liquid. The fish was quarantined before I bought it. I have fetched the fish indoors now in warmer water and he had perked up a lot. I might have to keep him over winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Liquid. The fish was quarantined before I bought it. I have fetched the fish indoors now in warmer water and he had perked up a lot. I might have to keep him over winter
The water temp is 2.7 Deg celsius

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm gonna guess you figured out the issue - that water was too cold too fast for his liking!

The fish was quarantined before I bought it.

Most would suggest you do your own quarantine before you add a new fish to an existing pond. But we've also discussed that a fish that has been in quarantine could just as likely be infected by something that's in your current stock, so either way is a bit of a risk. Sounds like you're confident with your seller, so that's good. And now you have someone to keep you company over the long winter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I could bring all my fish indoor! ...but even if I could set up a tub large enough for all of them, I'd be too afraid to stress them through the process and cause more harm than the winter outside could.
I have no idea how owners of champion koi travel with their fish allover the place, I couldn't!

OP My fish swim a little now and again then sit on the bottom for long periods of time, it's what they do when the water temps drop, I got used to it and no longer worry about them unless the winter is particularly harsh.
Good luck with your fish! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
He lays on his side on the bottom. Is that normal

No, not normal. Depending on where and when you got it, it may not be used to colder seasons; some fish are bred in warm climates and some in colder climates . It's also possible based on when you got it, that it's not totally acclimated to your pond.

I think your solution to bring it in for the winter is a good one. Do you have another fish that could keep him company over the winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
1000 gallons. haha!

I'm not an aquarium expert, but I think the more important part of the equation is how much filtration you have. You can probably get away with a smaller tank if you have excellent filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, at a foot long you're going to need a stock tank or an intex pool. You can get by with a smaller volume of water then a 500 - 1000 gallons, but will have to stay on top of your water quality.

How big was the fish when you purchased it and when did you buy it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I had the fish 2 weeks ago so it was a foot long when I bought it. It came from barnsley koi, who have a good reputation. I have found out that their koi are kept indoors. So the sudden freezing weather we had was a shock to the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had the fish 2 weeks ago so it was a foot long when I bought it. It came from barnsley koi, who have a good reputation. I have found out that their koi are kept indoors. So the sudden freezing weather we had was a shock to the fish

What do they suggest? Perhaps they have some good information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
They said it is probably the drop in temperature. The other fish I bought in the spring so they have adapted to the falling temperature slowly I am thinking. As I am new to this, I have learnt one thing don't put koi from warm water into a very cold garden pond. Anyway guys thanks for the replies it is very much appreciated

Ask a Question