Koi Identification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just guessing but looks like our river carps although a slight variation to scales a little. Funny thinking of the sensitive koi conversation as we have 30 pound carps like that one filling our rivers near hydro dams. They are very golden and huge scales, run very close to shore perhaps I should put one in my pond.
The problem with mixing wild fish with ornamental fish is that neither is resistant to each other diseases. One you could possibly kill the fish in your current pond if the wild fish had some sort of parasite and another even bigger issue is if the wild fish became diseased in your pond and you decided to put it back from where it came from you could kill a whole river or lake of fish because they would not be immune to whatever caused the disease. This has actually happened in real life that someone throwing in ornamental fish into a lake cause the death of almost all the wild fish. Now on the other hand if you want to eat that river carp I would have no problem with that! The say the dreaded asian carp that everyone was so worried about has become a delicacy among certain people and it has kept the asian carp population down!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @Tara the scales on your fish look like the ones in her picture, not like the ones in the wild carp picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
The problem with mixing wild fish with ornamental fish is that neither is resistant to each other diseases. One you could possibly kill the fish in your current pond if the wild fish had some sort of parasite and another even bigger issue is if the wild fish became diseased in your pond and you decided to put it back from where it came from you could kill a whole river or lake of fish because they would not be immune to whatever caused the disease. This has actually happened in real life that someone throwing in ornamental fish into a lake cause the death of almost all the wild fish. Now on the other hand if you want to eat that river carp I would have no problem with that! The say the dreaded asian carp that everyone was so worried about has become a delicacy among certain people and it has kept the asian carp population down!
True and I was just kidding about putting in my pond. However if no one ever had experimented there would be no koi today as they were all wild as well. Not looking forward to the asian carp reaching us although enevitable in a few years. The zebra muscle has reached our lake which is one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. Shame what we do during our short time here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-11-1_9-27-0.gif
@REK9

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
True and I was just kidding about putting in my pond. However if no one ever had experimented there would be no koi today as they were all wild as well. Not looking forward to the asian carp reaching us although enevitable in a few years. The zebra muscle has reached our lake which is one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. Shame what we do during our short time here.
Great... glad you were kidding! Sometimes I write stuff for general info also for whoever reads the threads. Ever notice there are like 20 non members on GPF for every member on line? Since the zebra muscles have hit Lake Michigan here by Chicago, Coho Salmon fishing has taking off. The lake is much cleaner than it used to and now the Coho's are thriving. Unintended consequences always seem to happen when some new invasive species shows up both good and bad :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a really cool looking fish! I can see why you bought it. I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't care what variety my fish are. They all have something unique about them and that's fine by me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello,

Recently acquired a new koi and have no idea what variety it might be. It was my lovely wife’s pick due to its unique appearance. Pics don’t do it justice and is better looking in person. Any help from more knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
100% common carp !!!

Ask a Question