Koi jumped out

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
My neighbour has that exact pond,it's only a little over 2 ft deep . Anyway,it's good your have plans to expand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Now that I'm looking at your pond I don't think it was the dye that made it jump. As I stated last post it's just to small for koi especially if they are getting much over 8 inches or so. Fish also jump because of poor quality water,do you test your water?
Oh. Water is fine, these were actually rescues, someone had them and the house became abandoned with power turned off. I got a call to go get them. So. Initially I had them in a 100 gal tank I side. No one tried to jump out. When I put this pond in for them 2 years ago they all seemed happy. Just this time the one freaked. So I'm am a newby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
My neighbour has that exact pond,it's only a little over 2 ft deep . Anyway,it's good your have plans to expand.
Oh. I did mean to ask. She had red marks to war her back tail like spider veins.... was that from ju pi g you think or something did something g to her. Just curious so I can keep an eye out for so e creature visiting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Your pond is too small for the koi which is why it jumped IMO. Fish jump out of water when the conditions are not good.

You need 1000 gallons for the first four koi. If you are less than 1000 gallons you shouldn't have any koi.

Stick to goldfish like me. Comets and shubunkins can get huge but wont go gigantic like koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Your pond is too small for the koi which is why it jumped IMO. Fish jump out of water when the conditions are not good.

You need 1000 gallons for the first four koi. If you are less than 1000 gallons you shouldn't have any koi.

Stick to goldfish like me. Comets and shubunkins can get huge but wont go gigantic like koi.
Thank you. I am waiting for a gentleman to c9ntact me. He says his pond is so nice the koi have young. I want these guys to be happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry you lost your koi :( If it had red streaking near it's tail, it could be because it was stressed, or had a bacterial infection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Well. Thank you everyone, I'm going to stick to tropical tanks after I find these guys a good home that is larger. I will miss them. I will turn this into just decorative with the gold fish I have. Thank you again. Everyone was very helpful. This is a great site

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Don't discount goldfish. Their colors are are just as awesome as koi. You can get them in fancy variety too like orandas and ranchus. I have some in my pond.

Ask a Question