Koi proof planters?

Reaction score
I'm still just hanging my planters from black rope draped around my edging rocks. it's really a lot more solid than I figured it would be, I have no complaints about that at all.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool stuff! I won't have koi, but do have the need for creativity regarding plant stands. Have a PVC pipe "contraption" that I'll connect to the front side of my turtle pond. It's basically a portable railing to keep plants from sliding off a sloping shelf. Was just thinking about doing something with PVC to make in-pond plant stands.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made some pvc floating holders for my lilies, to get some out in the deep end (hubby request) They look great out there, Used two inch pvc, just cause I had some, but glad I did the lilies are heavy enough it pulled them down just under water which is what I wanted. Makes the lilies look like they are just floating around by themselves. Tied them off to a rock with a long piece of fishing line just to keep them sort of in one spot.

Spray painted the pvc to make it brown and black

DSC03806a.jpg

DSC03755.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, I guess plants do make a difference. We have tried all year to get the water in this pond clear, uv, fines filters & chemicals. We even put a large tarp over it to shade it. One week after getting the plants into the stands and window boxes- clear water!! You can see the writing on the liner 5' down. I did get so 70% shade cloth to put over part of the pond. However, I have 2 large female koi who are PO'd that the salad bar is closed!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neat to hear mrsclem! any more issues with the heron? that tore your net? Our herons still fly over every darn day, but have yet to stop. We saw one tuesday fly over low, sort of pause in the air, look down, then kept going. It might be the two alligator heads in the water that is doing it, not sure. Just glad they still keep doing fly by.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Starting to think it wasn't a heron but a redtailed hawk. We have several that circle the ponds daily and I have caught them in the trees around the ponds. I keep finding the edges of the net inside the pond and not sure if it's deer taking a drink or big bird so have anchored the net around all the edges.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have see some redtails but we have more of the sharp shinned hawks. They totally ignore the big pond. Love the small ponds for their frog hunting.

Ask a Question