Koi Still Scared

Reaction score
Ive had my pond for 2 years now. I had 10 koi at 1 point and the heron got all but 1! So I stocked the pond with goldfish and the 1 koi that was left had a baby. Now I have 1 koi that is about 1ft long and another that is 4-5inches. To this day after 2 years the large koi still goes crazy when it sees me. It starts darting around the pond and the other fish follow. Is there something I can do to prevent them from being so scared? Havent seen the heron in about 6 months now. I was thinking about going deeper, but will that help? The pond is about 2.5ft deep. Didnt see the point of going much deeper because I live in Southern California where even in the winter it DOESNT drop below 50 degrees.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you walk up to feed them do you stand? Try coming up to the pond in a low profile, feed them when sitting, slowly throw in food until they relate you to that good stuff falling from your hand. The survivor relates your tall standing profile to a heron i.e. predator. My goldies used to scatter, but after feeding them from just one spot, over and over, they now relate me to food, anytime they see me the come running now.

If you go deeper with straight sides, the heron would have a lot of trouble getting fish again. It would also help keep the pond cooler. Do you have plant cover so they can hide if they feel like it? If not maybe put something floating on the pond so they can hide, give them a sense of protection. A lot of mine stay under the plants, the fry (now little goldfish) are the first to come running then the big guys follow.

Reaction score
I have a big PVC pipe in the pond that they can use as a little cave.

ps. The idea you gave me of tying up the hyacinths a few weeks ago works like a charm! The water is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I am really considering turning off my UV.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a big PVC pipe in the pond that they can use as a little cave.

ps. The idea you gave me of tying up the hyacinths a few weeks ago works like a charm! The water is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I am really considering turning off my UV.

Great glad to hear that. If your water is clear turn it off, you will probably be fine.

Ask a Question