koi toilet aerator column broke

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was cleaning around my koi toilet bottom drain and hit the edge of the cover/aerator disk and the center pipe column that connects the cover/disk to the drain broke off where it threads into the base of the drain, leaving an open aerator pipe to fill with water (I have an extra check valve at pump output). Aerator was on when this happened and I closed the valve before turning it off, which should have left some air trapped in the pipe. I ordered a replacement column. The drain is under 5.5' of water. I really don't want to drain my pond. Assuming I don't drain the pond (7000 gallons), I have two questions:

1 - how to get the broken threaded piece out?
2 - Do I need to purge the air line of water before I reattach the membrane disk? Or will the water in the pipe just come out the membrane when I turn the aerator back on? If I need to purge, how might I do that without draining?

I have an internal thread expanding wrench that I think will remove the broken threaded section, assuming I can do that under water. I have to be careful not to crack the bottom drain boss. I did reinforce this boss with a small section of pvc pipe around it when it was installed. I'm expecting this will take some finesse with a great deal of feel, look, and listen as I try to turn it out. Under water, these senses will be greatly handicapped.

I don't know about the water in the aerator line and can't find any information about water purging. Am I over thinking this?

Or am I just fooling myself thinking I can do this without draining the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I can't answer your question, but I've read about this happening on another koi forum and I don't remember them having to drain the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Scuba gear might help? haha! Not helpful, I know. Sorry I can't help, but I do enjoy creative problem solving!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like Angel's idea. I also have a Koi Toilet but only under 4 feet of water but goggles are really the only solution I could think of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was able to get it repaired without draining any water. I used a special wrench to get the broken piece out (after sever dives). At first I couldn't stay down there long enough to thread in the new piece. As I was about to give up, my wife suggested that she could try holding me down on the bottom with a pool boom/brush. That worked like a charm. Pretty comical, I'm guessing, seeing her stand there with a long pole on my back pushing me to the bottom. But Hey! It worked. All good again.

Ask a Question