koiguys 70 gal skippy style filter

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm from a western suburb of Chicago and bought a house last summer that has a 12'x6' kidney shaped pond with an average depth of 1.5' with a deep pocket of about 3'. There isn't much filtration, there was just a prefilter on a small 100GPH pump originally and that broke a few weeks after we moved in. I didn't want to buy anything expensive so I just bought a small filter from home depot that comes with a few filter pads and bio balls and you put the pump in the box with the media on top. The water is clear but has a tea color to it. I can always see my fish.

The pond had 2 koi's (5" and 7") and 2 goldfish (shubunkin and comet) originally. While at a pond show I won a koi (Blue body koi) and was beautiful so she is in there as well. Originally she was about 4” and after one season, she is already about 6-7” as big if not bigger than the big guy in the pond.

Other than that small box filter with the media pads and a few bio balls, I had a bunch of water lettuce and hyacinths last year. I also have a hardy lily and had a floating planter that I had a bunch of bog plants in to help with the nitrification process.

This year I am going to finally build a skippy-type bio filter and have some questions.

I am going to be using a 75 gallon stock tank that I just ordered from Menard's last night and using Koiguy’s design with the 45 degree elbows, clean out drain, etc, makes a lot more sense. The stock tank should arrive in 10 days so I am looking at buying all my materials in these next few days.

I plan on upgrading my pump, how many GPH should I be looking at to use with this filter and my pond size?

I do not have a water fall weir so I am planning on using PVC for my water return. The original Skippy design calls for a 4” closet flange, but I read somewhere that someone wishes they used 2 2” PVC pipes so they can better control the flow through the filter. What are some thoughts on that?

I haven’t thought on whether I will build up some dirt and make a waterfall from the filter, but I am afraid of leaks. I will have a liner covering the front of the filter, but unsure if I want to use a few elbows to have the PVC pipe return closer to pond level. I like the idea of using PVC and flattening it out to make the water flatten out, sounds easy and less chance that I have a leak. On the other hand, I am afraid that once I have that running, I’d wish I would have made a waterfall and did more with the water return than just pipes. Does anyone know if Koiguy still makes those waterfall weirs? Those look sweet!

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I figured you all need to know as much info about my pond for recommendations.

Looking to learn a lot from you all!

Carey

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need a bigger pond ,my pond is 9 years old and my koi were tiny and are now over 2 feet long and I have 2 filters going .I have 13 fish and I just use simple lava rock with plants in my filters and nothing else besides a basket of quilt batting in a small basket on top of each filter .So far it has worked for me but maybe not for others
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53329]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53419]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53236]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52125]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52124]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52119]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52128]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52118]

Reaction score
I would love a bigger pond, but the costs are just too much for what I want to do in the future, hence I figure I'll build a 75 Skippy now as I understand they work great with ponds up to 2000 Gallons per Skippy's site, mine is ~900 GPH. If money, were no issue, I'd do a new pond at least 4 feet deep with bottom drain, skimmer and the works! Such with life, money needs to go to more pressing needs! Thank yo for your input!

sissy said:
You may need a bigger pond ,my pond is 9 years old and my koi were tiny and are now over 2 feet long and I have 2 filters going .I have 13 fish and I just use simple lava rock with plants in my filters and nothing else besides a basket of quilt batting in a small basket on top of each filter .So far it has worked for me but maybe not for others

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
O.K would you like a waterfall weir? it just so happens. yes. i make them. 1/2" HDPE just like the rubbermade stocktanks.. here is a link, i currently have 2 available
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/3664-waterfall-weirs-for-diy-filters/ i dont currently have any stock to build any so the custom sizes are unlikely right now.
the one in post #61, and the one in post #65 are available the one in 60 should handle 1000 gph maybe a bit more post #61 atleast 1500 gph up to 1800
PM me ..if your interested...we'll talk

Reaction score
I was just giving some more thought on the shower drain to flush the bottom of the tank. Is this how you do your water changes, just open the ball valve and let water drain?

Is that a good idea since Skippy says to never clean the filter. Well I'm not cleaning just back flushing the junk out. Since my pond is ~900 gallons and my stock tank is 70 gallons if I emptied 1 stock tank of of water equates to about a 7% water change.

What are some thoughts out there?

Reaction score
Hi All,

2 years ago I began to build a stock tank filter and never finished bc my UV filter seemed to be doing a nice job. I just went to restart my waterfall for the season and found that my filter is cracked and can not be used any more. So now I am back to my original plan of finishing this stock tank filter. I have everything pretty much done except I need a custom weir.

There was a member here that made custom weirs, but cant remember who. I was curious if they still make these ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Reaction score
I like the weirs you make, so remember who had them LOL ... Still waiting to see how hubby plans on setting up the skippy on the next pond ... it IS going at the top of the waterfall, but he choked when I told him I wanted the waterfall to be 4' wide LOL ... Need to see what he plans to do to give it to me, but may talk to you yet about a custom sized one.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the response! Koiguy, I want to take a few pictures and a few measurements and then I'll send you a P.M. But, I will definately need a weir.

Without a filter my water is turning green very fast, Is fish and frog in any danger?

Thanks!
Brian

Ask a Question