Last Questions before I fill the pond

Reaction score
I tried searching but not all my questions were answered so I'm sorry if these are repeats cause I'm sure you guys are used to answering the same questions over and over lol. So I finished my 1100gal koi pond and I'm ready to fill. I have 1800gph submersible pump, 55gal Doc waterfall filter with irrigation tubing for media and uv light for my setup. I already have 5 koi and 5 goldfish in a stock tank right now so I was hoping for the fastest way to cycle the pond. The fish are only about 2-3" each. So from what i got from this forum is basically I fill the pond up with the hose and then add dechlor to remove the chlorine, wait about a day and that should be ready to add the fish correct? Then for the filter I was thinking of buying the gel additive (brand?)to tubing to speed up the process. I know the tubes have to be dry when i put it on but do i pretty much have to add it to each individual tube or can i just mix it all together with the tubes and shake it around to spread it? Then after the gel's on do i just add water from the hose to the filter or will the chlorine kill the bacteria? Would it be better if i just turn on the pump so it fills my filter and then add water to the pond from the hose? Do i leave the pump running through the cycle or should i leave the pump off? Then I know that ammonia will spike then go to 0, then nitrate will spike and go to 0 and that should complete the cycle. sorry for the newB questions but I wanna make sure I do this right and dont send my fish to there deathbed. thanks for your help.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fill the pond and add your dechlorinator, start your pumps and make sure all is running correctly. I would not add fish yet. Watch the pond for a couple of days and make sure no leaks, everything is running correctly and allow the temp to stabilize.
Now Add your bacteria additive directly to where it can be carried into the filter system. Once that has been added and has settled, 10-30 minutes now add the fish. Start by adding the least favorite one or two and add them the first day. If there is a problem you want to take the less chance with your favorites. (this is why many people start with feeder fish. If the first couple look ok after 24 hours then the rest should be ok to add. Don't add any more than that for 4-6 weeks. Make sure and slowly allow the fish to get use to the temp of the water and slowly add pond water to their water to get them used to it, this process should take about 20-30 minutes or longer. It takes about 30 days for the pond to cycle. Start watching for the ammonia spike around the first of the third week, It could take 3-5 weeks in most cases to see that ammonia peak. This is a good time for the first water change of about 20-30% this will reduce the amount of ammonia that needs to be broken down to nitrites. Once this cycle is complete then you can start adding a few fish at a time once every couple of weeks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good explanation fishin! I have always let my pond sit empty for a month or so before adding fish. With this pond still killed off some feeders last year, made the too low ph mistake because of our well water.....ph swings.....now all is fine and stable

Ask a Question