Leaking pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small pond that was installed prior to my purchasing our house. It has a plastic liner, and for the last two winters, including this one, it has spontaneously drained itself to within 5 inches. Last year I was able to refill it once it warmed up and it held water all summer. Well now, it just drained itself again, so I'm wondering, is there a way to find a leak that behaves this way and if so, can it be sealed. I have a picture of it, but I don't see a way of posting that here.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not seeing a picture. Hard plastic or a flexible liner? Any pump/filter/fountain running?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_8046.jpeg

Not seeing a picture. Hard plastic or a flexible liner? Any pump/filter/fountain running?
Hard plastic, submersible pump pulling from submerged filter box and pumping up to a waterfall. All are visible in the picture.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Are you in a freezing area? Thinking maybe a crack that opens a bit when the ground freezes. How fast does it drain?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with @JRS - the ground freezing is allowing the crack to open up in the preformed liner - it's the only explanation. Since it stops at a certain point, you just have to look above the water line.

But to be honest I wouldn't attempt to repair this one. Get yourself a piece of pond underlayment and liner and fix it for good. These preforms are prone to cracking and leaking by their very nature. A liner will be so much more reliable for you. And simple to install now that you have the hole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with @JRS - the ground freezing is allowing the crack to open up in the preformed liner - it's the only explanation. Since it stops at a certain point, you just have to look above the water line.

But to be honest I wouldn't attempt to repair this one. Get yourself a piece of pond underlayment and liner and fix it for good. These preforms are prone to cracking and leaking by their very nature. A liner will be so much more reliable for you. And simple to install now that you have the hole.
I'm assuming that the pond underlayment goes underneath undernearth the preform. How does the liner attach to the inside of the liner? I've read where people do this, but still have leaks occurring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No, your better off removing the preform and dispose of it. Place cardboard layers , sand , carpet or weed barrier . TO MAKE A NICE SOFT BED THEN PLACE THE EPDM LINER. if you vsee a comercial roofing job going on they throw away scraps big enough to do your pond.

Ask a Question