Leather skin koi?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was able to net one of the fry that hatched out this year. It is all white and has one row of scales down the back but no scales anywhere else! I have 2 large butterfly koi (both males), one is red and black and the other yellow, grey and white. My big girl is all dark colored. Where did this fry come from? Both of the males are mutts but the female is supposed to be an Israli koi? I have 2 smaller koi that are both mutts and I think too small to breed. Sorry for no pic, didn't have the camera handy.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Planning on netting everybody in the next month to get the goldfish out. Got some good cloth netting at the fabric store. I've got about 30 koi fry that I'm planning on keeping till spring to see what comes up. I can't figure where this guy came from as I have no koi without scales! Pics to follow the mass netting.

Reaction score
Is the leather type called Doitsu? That and ginrin being the sparkly scale is all I know. I have ginrin and would like to get a doitsu next year. I notice they cost about double in the 4"-6" range from the others.

I could be wrong but I heard that the doitsu comes from a line of wild carp.

Reaction score
I've read about the Koi without scales as well. It must be a recessive gene if you have no other scale-less (Is that a word? lol). Would love to see a photo.

DrCase, do you have any photos of yours? Did you purchase yours or did it "just appear" in your pond?

Ask a Question