Am I asking for trouble ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a little 300 gallon raised pond it has 6 goldfish (4 to 6 inches)and about 7 to 10 rosie red minnows. this is the 1st year fish had babies...plenty of fry now not sure what will survive. I have plenty of plant life. I use plants and veggie filter to filter water. I have plenty of birds and insects visting my pond but here is my question. I would like to add a few frogs. Guessing be best to create a natural way for them to come and go. Maybe a little natural ladder (driftwood or logs). Just not sure if they would stay or how much havoc they can cause if they start multiplying like mad. If I do get them was looking for a native species most likley from my inlaws little lake. Not sure the type they are but they are little.(if I move forward researching them to understand type before getting them would be my next step). Not wanting bull frogs. Im Ok if they snack on the fry think the goldfish would be safe ...rosie reds are questionable. Seen frogs can eat large items. Love them singing in the morning and night.Just not sure if I am asking for more issues than the enjoyment they will provide me. Any thoughts on those that have them?

Pics of my pond for reference
20170611_133715.jpg
20170409_183341.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How long has your pond been established? Most of the time the frogs & toads will find a water source to court and lay their eggs. Because your pond is raised, that may be creating a problem for them to get to it -- maybe like you suggested, a little ramp or something cute that would tie in with your pond. As long as any frogs you provide ARE native frogs, I don't see a problem. Of course, whether they stay or not -- only time will tell. They would have to have access and would have to prefer your pond over other water sources. I have a 3000 gal pond. I have a few year-round residents: 3 different frog species and 1 toad species. Rarely see any of them, and the only time they make noise is during mating times. They can be noisy, but I love hearing them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
MMathis...I have had a water feature (55gallon) with a waterfall for 3 years and only had one frog who came last year. It hiberbated found him this spring and he moved on I guess never saw it since. This new larger pond has been going since this early spring. We have a creek at the end of our addition I guess that is where most of them end up. Never have looked but guessing there are some down there.

Thanks NyBoy...I do enjoy sitting back there watching the birds and fish.

Thanks for the replies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MMathis...I have had a water feature (55gallon) with a waterfall for 3 years and only had one frog who came last year. It hiberbated found him this spring and he moved on I guess never saw it since. This new larger pond has been going since this early spring. We have a creek at the end of our addition I guess that is where most of them end up. Never have looked but guessing there are some down there.

Thanks NyBoy...I do enjoy sitting back there watching the birds and fish.

Thanks for the replies.
I bet you'll be seeing some froggies soon enough, or at least by next spring. I do like the idea of a bridge or ramp to give them easier access. They're probably saying, "I ain't gonna try to jump that high -- go get George and see if he'll do it. But wait, will the lady frogs be able to get up there? No, no, don't get George. Don't need the competition! Dang!"

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I dislike frogs also noisy messy critters .They clean the pond but then clog up the pumps and filters with there taddy's and aggie killing them also and I get to pull out the left overs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know that you could catch frogs and make them stay in your pond. Ours come and go at will. Early in the spring we have lots; as the season progresses we will have just a handful that we can count on to be at their stations every day. I don't know if they fight for territory and the losers leave or what but it happens that way every year. Occasionally it's one big bullfrog who eliminates all the smaller frogs... one way or another! We don't have a big bullfrog this year - at least not yet!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of frogs, in the deck ponds, in the small stream ponds, in the big pond, in the bog. Love hearing them, (they get quieter after mating season) Really enjoy seeing them. We have no mosquitos, crickets (when we moved here) where horrendous now hardly ever see any. Flies hardly around they inhale a lot of food.

But how to get them into your raised pond, they need access. They need a ramp, a pile of rocks something they can hop up to get into the pond.

Very nice pond btw!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend to me. I have the cutest frogs, they are the size of a thumb nail, in spring the night s full with their calls.

Reaction score
What I wonder about is where and why do the frogs go? I give them a beautiful peaceful spot to live and they up and leave. There is absolutely nothing close by that will give them such a comfortable spot. Oh well I guess they have to learn that the grass isn't always greener and the bugs aren't always better on the other side of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Their ways are not our ways @mgmine ;). I've said the same thing so many times - what could be better than this?? But they are free to come and go. And honestly I'm not sure they all "leave" so much as get "taken". As tame as my yard seems, I know there's still a lot of wild stuff going on when I'm not looking!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I wonder about is where and why do the frogs go? I give them a beautiful peaceful spot to live and they up and leave. There is absolutely nothing close by that will give them such a comfortable spot. Oh well I guess they have to learn that the grass isn't always greener and the bugs aren't always better on the other side of the pond.
I often wonder the same thing.....Where do they come from, where do they go, and how do they find my pond year-after-year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My yard was infested with snakes, after finding 2 in my house I called a exterminator. After a walk around yard he said all the frogs where what was drawing the snakes. Everyone loves frog legs for dinner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I know the toads would appreciate a ramp, both outside and in; frogs are usually strong jumpers. Frogs will pretty much do what they do indifferent to what we want, but if you want them just get a couple tadpoles at your fish store and put them in. With a little luck they'll like your pond and stay. I've got three or four permanent leopard frogs in my pond and several transients; also tree frogs, Spring peepers and of course lots of toads.

Ask a Question