leaving filter in the pond over winter months

Reaction score
Maybe you could point out that cold water also contains more oxygen than warm water since the oxygen is more dense and also explain that when fish are in nearly freezing water, their metabolism is greatly slowed, causing them to consume very little oxygen. I know you can't convince some people that water is wet, but hey, its worth a try?

Reaction score
Carolyn I don't know about the difference between Northeastern PA and where I live in Southern BC, but I know there is a big difference between Anchorage Alaska and here. In fact, there is a huge climate change between Northern BC, and Southern interior BC, and even coastal BC, so what might apply in one area of BC, may not apply in another area.
I believe you are on the right track cleaning as much crud out of your pond possible before winter and keeping a hole in the ice. I also do my best to clean out the pond, but I have noticed that the algae continues to grow for some time even after the pond is ice covered, and dead algae is a big contributor to crud in the pond.
I like to experiment, and I did nothing with the pond last winter, no hole in the ice, no air stone, no deicer, nothing. I just wanted to see what would happen. By far the majority of my fish stock survived, only 3 died out of around 50 fish, but I also lost a turtle and a couple frogs, so I don't really want to repeat that experiment again. This year I plan to circulate the water through my vortex settling tank which is indoors in my enclosed and insulated pump/filter room. That tank is open and should stay ice free in that room, and act as a good air exchange chamber.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1946]
I expect that the water at the bottom of the pond will be slightly cooler, but the water will be better oxygenated, and the H2S gas will not build up in the pond water.

Reaction score
Are you going to monitor the temperature at the bottom of the pond as well? This is somethiing I would like to do.

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
Are you going to monitor the temperature at the bottom of the pond as well? This is somethiing I would like to do.
Yep. I never remove the thermometer.

bettasngoldfish said:
How do you check the temperature at the bottom of a pond? :dunno: The only thermometers I am familiar with are the floating type.
I use a digital thermometer with a waterproof probe. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/bhp/digital-thermometer-with-probe
Except mine is just an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor probe laying at the bottom of the pond. If you use an indoor outdoor thermometer be sure the probe is a sealed unit, some are not and they are not waterproof.

Reaction score
I also use a digital thermometer to monitor the bottom of my pond. I started using one my first winter that I had my pond. I was so freaked out about leaving my fish out and how cold the water would get.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a bottom reading thermometer all last winter, the bottom stayed within a few degrees of the surface in temperature, usually around 34-36 degrees. The surface was 32, the floating thermometer was frozen in ice.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I should get a one of those thermometers then and put the floating one away for winter.

One more question about the thermometer. Do you weigh it down with something or is the end of it heavy enough not to float back to the top?

Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
I guess I should get a one of those thermometers then and put the floating one away for winter.

One more question about the thermometer. Do you weigh it down with something or is the end of it heavy enough not to float back to the top?

Yep, it sinks on it's own.

Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
Cool, I placed my order.

I know I am going to be in worry mode this first winter. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is as mild this year as it was last winter.
Where did you order from? Most of the ones in that link I sent were for aquariums and the probe wires are probably too short for pond use.

Reaction score
I would like to order one as well. The problem is I need probably at least 25 feet on the probe to go from the bottom of my pond to the inside wall of the house.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Carolyn22 said:
I would like to order one as well. The problem is I need probably at least 25 feet on the probe to go from the bottom of my pond to the inside wall of the house.
Get a wireless it transmits to the house

Ask a Question