leaving filter in the pond over winter months

Reaction score
I don't know if I would trust a wireless. Maybe if you spend a lot of money on one. The one we have sucks its in the house and I don't think the temp on it gives the true temp. We have two other thermometers outside and they are closer in temp then the wireless.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has worked fine, I have one in the big pond, one in the shubunkin tank. Both read the same air temp as my davis weather station. Both read the same water temp (they better since they share the same water)

I will need to check the brand names.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
bettasngoldfish said:
Help! My air pump arrived a few days ago and I went to try it out today on a 100 and 75 gallon rubber maid tub (one hose/tubing in each) and it barely made any water movement/bubbles. One of the air stones was putting out some air and the other pretty much nothing (the air stone even broke when I tried to take it off the end of the tubing) I checked to make sure I put the check valve on right and even removed one all together and that didn't help.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed as this cost $79.00 and I'm not sure it's even of any use.

Suggestions please......
May I suggest you send that one back and go in for one of the propper koi air pumps they are very powerful and give you the option of running more than two airstones ( up to twelve if you buy the twelve gang maifold with it ), personally I think the one you bought are how can I polite here , only good for use in Aquariums.
The koi ones are built for the job of ponds to any depth and give you plenty of air you can buy them at quite a reasonable Price :-

http://usakoi.com/air-pumps-accessories.html

I hope this restores your faith in airpumps its always better to buy bigger the ones you went in for just arent fit for purpose.
Just dont go in for the two tube variety again the webpage I've directed you too do one for a slightly higher fee of $124 but hey for one that does the job and lasts one hell of a time "priceless"....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
For a little more than your $79 you could have an aerator rated for a larger pond. How big is your pond? I have an aerator rated for a 6000 gallon pond in my 4850 gallon pond and this bubbler definitely does the trick. I turn mine on when the water temps are 80 degrees or more as the warmer water has less oxygen content.

Definitely return the one you have..... I bought my aerator from Foster and Smith some years ago and it continues to be dependable and I spent only a bit more than you did with your $79 aerator.

One other thing - we are coming into the time of year, when this type of thing is going to be marked down. I try to buy as much of what I need for my pond in the fall. I will be looking for my 2014 ponding items in the next month or so. With this line of thinking, I managed to save $100 right off the top when I bought my skimmer. Definitely start looking for this type of thiing now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Carolyn22 said:
Addy

I did not know they had wireless thermoms. Where can I get one? Is Amazon a good place to start?
I heard of the remote thermometers on this site I googled swimming pool remote thermometers and bought one from China its served us well so far and is fairly accurate to .2c of the remote pick ups display .
It cost about £25.00 UK and is a good investment .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm so old school .... I just taped my glass one to the end of a broom handle and held it to the bottom of the pond for a few minutes to get the temp. I only worried the one winter we had years ago when the air temp was below freezing for a long time. All the fish made it through that winter. I think I was way more stressed about it than they were.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks for the tips! I will keep in mind the fact that pond items go on sale in the fall.

As for the pump it's too late. I already sent the one I got back but asked for an exchange as I'm pretty sure the one I got was defective. If the new one turns out to be a dud I will check the other ones out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I actually have the same exact filter with the Pump ( the one I got at Big Lots for $30). I have only cleaned that filter once since I just got it last month, but it seems to be working good so far :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good deal on that Jason : )

I actually bought mine second hand from craigslist for $15. It looked new and has worked well in the smaller pond. Just feel like I needed something else in the bigger pond.

What size/gallons is the pond your using that in? Is it the only filter your running?

Ask a Question