Lilies for deeper water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Most of the lily plants I have found can only be planted in water that is no more than 2 feet. Are there varieties of lilies that can be planted in waters that are 5-6 feet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A very interesting link, weve never contemplated putting plants in the pond most British koi keepers go for a formal pond deviod of vegetation.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
You really have nothing to lose by trying one or two pots of waterlilies at a deeper level. You could try one and see how it goes for you.

All my waterlilies are not at the recommended 18-24". A number of years ago, we had our waterlily pots on the plastic cubes that the college kids buy to hold files. The general idea at the time was to put the waterlilies at the recommended growing height. I had a fish that got caught between the plastic cubes. Apparently he had himself wedged in there rather well, because he could not get out until all the pots of waterlilies were removed and the plastic cubes where pulled out of the way. At that point in time, my line of thinking was I didn't really care as much about the waterlilies if it meant my poor koi were being put at risk. So, the cubes came out of the pond and the waterlily pots were put at the very bottom of the shallower end of my pond, which is 3 1/2 feet.

Every year, I get nice pad coverage and my waterlilies flower from spring through to fall. So, give it a try with just one pot of waterlilies and see what happens. Nothing is right or wrong. :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_7309.JPG
    IMG_7309.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 255

Ask a Question