Water Lilies No Shelf?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am designing my first small pond. I would rather not have a plant shelf so as to deny the herons and raccoons easy fishing. I'll have some shubunkins and comets. I will incorporate a partition bog for filtration but I also want a few water lilies in the open water. The pond will be 24" deep. Would inverted clay pots be suitable risers for the lily baskets?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You don't need to raise a waterlily - there are many that are happy at 3 or even 4 feet deep.

Generally speaking, an inverted clay pot would make a good riser for a marginal pond plant though. We use a clay chimney flue as our koi cave - it gets covered with nice algae very quickly and you can barely tell it's there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use a floating planter also and do it bare root .Mine is bare root in the lily pond .I can't keep it in my pond the koi destroy it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the rectangular chimney flue 12"x12"x24". They won't roll and 2 of them side by side will make a nice planting shelf in the middle of the pond. Would herons land there?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the rectangular chimney flue 12"x12"x24". They won't roll and 2 of them side by side will make a nice planting shelf in the middle of the pond. Would herons land there?
Will you have a lily pot on there? It might deter a heron.....but a determined heron is going to go after fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How deep is your pond? I think whether or not a heron would land on it would depend how deep the water is over the top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A natural creek borders our backyard. Herons are often seen there, fishing. They are easily spooked and we have a dog so maybe I'll not have too big a problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is my latest drawing, but I'm thinking of eliminating the shelf and some other changes
Pond%20design_zpsidg7qy3i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Honestly with a 24" deep pond, a heron wouldn't hesitate to just walk right in. They walk into our native ponds up to their bellies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, shoot. Well there's not more more I can do with a 15 ' square liner kit that my son gifted me. Guess I'll take my chances

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Maybe they'll never bother with your pond if they have plenty of fishing opportunities near by. We see herons flying overhead daily - they have yet to bother with our fish.

Ask a Question