Lilies turning yellow on the edges

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8a 10°F to 15°F
Country
United States
See pic below. I'm wondering if this is normal or a sign of trouble for the lilies. My suspicion is that it may have something to do with the recent maintenance I did in which I pumped the water into an inflatable pool (Intex Model) and then back into the pond. The next morning after this, I had a plate size yellow foam gathered around the fountain area of the pond. This is when I first noticed the yellowing around the edges of two of the Lilly pads.

Pic below...

You can see the yellow fringe on the pad to the left in particular. The smaller pad at top middle has a larger yellow spot.

20621848_1522552784474241_2804247987547795492_n.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do they need fertilizer .Plus it is normal for older leaves to yellow .I just pluck them off

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Never saw mine yellow at the edges. I have a problem with the leaves developing black spots. The spots seem to multiply and eventually the leaf begins to shred.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Use rotalabutterfly.com for deficiency information (that's what this is)

This is a Nitrogen Deficiency

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This link applies to aquariums. Ponds are different
How is it different? because it says "aquariums" ?
A chair is no different than a stool. You sit on it.

I didn't know there were to types of nitrogen(s)
pond nitrogen and aquarium nitrogen, weird I was never taught that in chemistry!

http://aquarium-fertilizer.com/aquatic-plant-deficiency
Nitrogen – from nitrate (NO3), ammonia (NH4), urea

Optimal levels of nitrate (NO3): 10 – 40 ppm NO3

Water plant becomes yellow and older leaves are in a really bad condition.

New leaves are small and crippled. Growth rate of plants is very small.

Solution: Add some extra NO3 to you aquarium water from Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) – How much of nitrogen from KNO3

t3_2gjyrf

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How is it different? because it says "aquariums" ?
A chair is no different than a stool. You sit on it.

I didn't know there were to types of nitrogen(s)
pond nitrogen and aquarium nitrogen, weird I was never taught that in chemistry!

One sits on a commode also....same as a chair?

The difference is not the nutritional requirements of the plants and other aquatic organisms, but more the sources of these nutrients. In an aquarium, the nutrients required, especially for plants, is supplied by the administering of chemical fertilizers. In a garden pond, the source of the majority of nutrients is organic, a sizeable portion of which is usually allochthonous.
Fertilizer requirements in ponds are also affected by temperature, pH, Oxygen more so than aquaria due to the wider range of fluctuation within these parameters.
Organic Carbon is also in a much higher supply than is aquaria.
Anyone that attempts to maintain a pond using the guidelines for an aquarium will find themselves encountering problems, as I am sure that other members of this forum will attest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's exactly how my pads look as they die off. Lily pads die off and new ones continue to be produced as long as the weather and water stay warm enough. Just pull them off. The rest of the plant looks fine so I really don't think it's any kind of deficiency. Mine will also yellow faster when the nights are cool.

Having said that - lilies are heavy feeders and do appreciate a good dose of fertilizer. You can get some that are once year applications and others need to be repeated every few weeks.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In an aquarium, the nutrients required, especially for plants, is supplied by the administering of chemical fertilizers.
This is Completely and utterly, false.
Diana Walstad, invetor of the Walstad tank type, does not add fertilizers to the water at all (this goes for ALL walstad tanks), this also applies to most Low Tech tanks.
They rely strictly on plant decay and fish waste to create a organic mulm on the substrate. For those who are new to this, Walstad method is a natural planted tank (NPT) also known as El Natural tank, and was created by Diana Walstad, a well-known ecologist. This method describes a way of setting up an aquarium where plants and fish balance each other's existence and needs. It's almost self-sustaining. The full explanation of this process is in Diana Walstad's book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium".
"
A little background. In 1999 Diana Walstad wrote the book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium - A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist". Diana is a biologist, a micro-biologist and a technical advisor for the Aquatic Gardeners Association, as well as being a long time aquarist.

The ideas in her book have developed an avid following. Basically, she explains the science behind using the plants themselves as filters in a home aquarium, and how to set up a natural tank using soil, sunlight, minimal water exchanges, no other filters (some water movement, though), high density of plants, moderate stocking of fish, fertilizing only with excess fish flake food and the waste produced by the fish.

It's really a very old method of aquarium keeping - it's what people did in the late 1800's all the way into the 1950's when things like pumps, filters and fluorescent lighting became mass produced. Diana explains why it works. It's a very interesting book - a bit technical in places. I'll loan it to anyone who wants to read it.
Intrigued and skeptical, I set up a natural planted tank (NPT or El Natural as some call it) 10g tank last January based exactly on the principles outlined in the book. Sifted soil from my yard capped with gravel. Planted with fast growing root feeders, floaters, and emergent plants. Fancy guppies, 2 oto's, cherry shrimp (which the guppies ate, except for the big ones), pond snails.

It's located in a corner in front of both an eastern and southern window. It also has a vintage lamp with low wattage CP bulbs that comes on for a few hours just for viewing or if it's been cloudy out for too many days. A tiny fountain pump comes on only at night for some water circulation. I over feed the fish with flake food so that some will decay on the bottom forming a mulm which eventually works down into the soil to replenish it. The decaying process also produces C02. The heavily planted soil stays aerobic through root action (roots actually produce o2)

The only time I have vacuumed in there is when a plant would fail and I got an overload of dead leaves. I top up the open topped tank as necessary. Diana explains that ultimately, in this type of tank, some plants will thrive and some fail, you have to experiment a bit to find the ones that suit your particular setup. Also that it is not as suitable for fancy aquascaping as a more controlled environment.

Now that the tank has been operating for 9 months on this NO maintenance regime, I have to say that it is healthy and thriving. And I love it - my 70g planted goldfish tank is my hi-tech tank and I think of this one as my "vintage" style tank.
Diana Walstad is a moderator on a sub-forum of Aquatic Plant Central devoted to Natural Planted Tanks. Here's the link:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

I actually have a 5g iron and slate tank from the early 1900's, if it didn't already have a tarantula living in it, I'd surely set it up as another NPT!"
http://tgvas.com/Forum/showthread.php?1716-Natural-Planted-Tank-Walstad-style

Fertilizer requirements in ponds are also affected by temperature, pH, Oxygen more so than aquaria due to the wider range of fluctuation within these parameters.
I never said, add nitrogen to your pond, I said its lacking nitrogen, I labeled the deficiency, is that not what he is asking?
Anyone that attempts to maintain a pond using the guidelines for an aquarium will find themselves encountering problems, as I am sure that other members of this forum will attest.
Well I guess youll have to watch my journal then :), many people on here including yourself (no offence) don't know much, if anything, about (excluding, @MitchM @Nepen as far as I know) proper aquarium care, maintenance, etc. By this I mean you have nothing to compare then.
To word this better: its Likely, people on a Pond Forum have a lack of knowledge, on what the basic needs, and types of aquascaping or aquarium maintenance (or, types as said) are/is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
many people on here including yourself (no offence) don't know much, if anything, about (excluding, @MitchM @Nepen as far as I know) proper aquarium care

Maybe that's because this is a pond forum with some who are also aquarium enthusiasts vs an aquarium forum. And people may know way more than you think.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe that's because this is a pond forum with some who are also aquarium enthusiasts vs an aquarium forum. And people may know way more than you think.
Well aware this is a pond forum, that's my point. I know very well there are aquarium enthusiasts and future enthusiasts on here, I gave 2 examples, but not as many as there are on an aquascaping forum (or tank forum same thing lol). which is the reason I said, many people on hear don't know Much if anything about aquariums/aquascaping and the science of it. I think you kind of went in a circle so to speak in your own comment...
Think my point was missed, the typing is weird though I don't blame ya.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well aware this is a pond forum, that's my point. I know very well there are aquarium enthusiasts and future enthusiasts on here, I gave 2 examples, but not as many as there are on an aquascaping forum (or tank forum same thing lol). which is the reason I said, many people on hear don't know Much if anything about aquariums/aquascaping and the science of it. I think you kind of went in a circle so to speak in your own comment...
Think my point was missed, the typing is weird though I don't blame ya.

I think that you missed @Lisak1's point. That being that the members of this Forum devote their time, interest and energy towards their ponds. They have no real interest in an aquarium.

Well I guess youll have to watch my journal then :), many people on here including yourself (no offence) don't know much, if anything, about (excluding, @MitchM @Nepen as far as I know) proper aquarium care, maintenance, etc. By this I mean you have nothing to compare then.

I know more about aquaria than you realize, infinitely more than you know about ponds.

To word this better: its Likely, people on a Pond Forum have a lack of knowledge, on what the basic needs, and types of aquascaping or aquarium maintenance (or, types as said) are/is.

That may be true but only because they are not interested. Your copious postings will not change that. It is more likely to drive them away.

Ask a Question