Long time lurker

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Nx2ured said:
Koidaddy, do you only have 5 barrels for your 4,000 gal pond, or are those on a different pond? Are those fish from this years spawn?

I only have 3 hooked up as filters. The half barrels are a flod and drain bog that I grow veggies in(tomato,cucumber,pepper).Didn't do much with those this season. I was pulling water from the pond and they were toxic messess. I now have filtered(mech) feeding them. much cleaner. I have counted 15-20 from this years spawn, hard to see in the pic. What you see are last years or older. I need to rehome some as soon as they get some size. My largest koi right now is around 12". Shes momma.
I also might be closer to 3500 gallons. I need to measure and recalculate. My pond was twice the size it is now but I had a fish kill and filled half the hole in.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Ok I recalculated my pond more acuratly and its at @ 2400 gallons. I guess I filled in more then I thought. :bouncycig:I will be moving in the next 6 months so nothing is set permenently. The second pic is from before the spawn. The water had gotten worse before the new pump showed up.

Attachments

• P6060040 (Custom).JPG
    P6060040 (Custom).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC00022 (Custom).JPG
    DSC00022 (Custom).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 255

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Nx2ured said:
Hi guys,
I think I was looking for instant results as we all want clear water and do not want to wait for it. This morning I see even more improvement than yesterday. I guess I just need to have more patience. My pond is my refuge as I am a school teacher and at the end of the day I like to sit out by the pond and watch the fish in order to relax.

Thanks for the welcome DrDave.
Lisa

I run into this all the time. People want instant gratification. I see this all the time. Patience and common sense prevail. Even in garden plants. They buy a seedling and expect it to dramatically change the appearance of their yard in a month. Koi and filtration all require time as well.

Ask a Question