Long time lurker

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been a member of this board for some time doing research and getting ideas. I have a 16-1800 gal pond that I built myself 6-7 years ago. Yesterday I built a skippy filter from a 100g stock tank. I connected the existing bio filter to the new Skippy filter thinking this would help the biological process along. I think I was really expecting a dramatic change in the green water when I got up this morning, and even though the water was a little clearer, it wasn't as drastic as I had hoped. When setting up a skippy filter on a new pond, their website says it usually takes 4-8 weeks for it to cycle. Anyone have any idea on how long it will take for my established pond to clear? I filled the top of the skippy filter with water Hyacinth and have plenty of submerged plants throughout the pond. The skippy filter has two pumps running into it and two three inch shower drains that supply the waterfall.

Lisa

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad you joined in the fun, If you saw impovement in less than 24 hrs i think your got something going on. Honestly I''m surprised but them again I have similar reaction with a DYI filter I built recently. For me I noticed the biggest improvement 24-72 hours after installed. Did you put in a backflush valve? How green was the water, PIC's??
Give it a chance, lets see what's ahppening, honestly if your seeing a improvement already it sounds like it's doing good.

Reaction score
Any biofilter will typically take 4 to 8 weeks to cycle, that means, for bacteria to establish themselves. Those bacteria do bio filtration, essentially breaking down toxins like ammonia and nitrites in to harmless nitrates. That process is not clearing up your water as such, its making it healthy, particularly for fish.

Unfortunately for you, a biofilter will do little or nothing to get rid of algae. Some claim otherwise, but the simple truth is a mature and properly working biofilter, if fed ammonia and nitrite (from fish, food, or organic waste that decays), it produces nitrate, which is plant fertilizer. Great for your plants, but equally great for algae.

To counter green water, the best recipe is plants plants and more plants. Particularly floating plants, like those water hyacinths you added. Hopefully for you, the pond will find its own balance again, but you can help things along with an UV light, barley extract or partial water changes. You dont mention any fish, if you dont have any, you might even use a chemical, but I would avoid that if you have fish. Algae blooms sometimes happen, it can be triggered by any minor change, but if your pond has been algae free for all these years, I suspect chances are good it will go away with little or no effort. No promises though.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Cloudy water is a suspension of particles, it can be algae, mud/dirt, fish waste, bacteria, plant matter etc. etc.. When a filter is installed it catches it all, It can't tell the difference, the more that gets caught the more it traps, This forms the GUNK that is caught either in the media or in the bottom of the filter. So in actuality it is removing algae along with everything else, Now, it needs to be removed from the system to remove it as there isn't enough Bio activity yet formed to start breaking it down at this point, If the skippy has a back flush and is used it does plenty and helps tremendously for removing the algae suspended in the water, Your removing algae cells along with it's nutrients at the same time. Plants, UV and the use of Barley can help as well, they are the best ways to kill and or remove it but the filter does remove it too as it starts to clog and build its bed. In a pre-established pond the filter' bacteria actually start attaching right away, it may take 4-6-8 weeks - or even months for a bio filter to fully mature, But it doesn't really cycle like a new system does, It just starts growing and working almost right away, how much does it grow and how fast??? I've never read how fast this can take place but I have seen drops in ammonia and nitrites in as little as 48 hours on a system that had a new filter added to a pre-existing pond that already had filtration in place, I've seen green water clear in days with out UV intervention and no additional plants added. (My pond did) The algae cells do need to be removed completely to do this or they reproduce and keep the water green until the other components bio-media, UV, barley, etc. start working.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Cloudy water is a suspension of particles, it can be algae, mud/dirt, fish waste, bacteria, plant matter etc. etc.. When a filter is installed it catches it all, It can't tell the difference, the more that gets caught the more it traps, This forms the GUNK that is caught either in the media or in the bottom of the filter. So in actuality it is removing algae along with everything else, .

Ok, call me a nitpicker, but the removal of solids as you describe, is not the function of the biofilter, but its mechanical filtration. Granted, a skippy/doc whatever filter does this in one and the same barrel, and to some extend even using the same filter media, but I dont call that biofiltration, its mechanical filtration. In that sense, removing sludge, organic matter and what not I suppose can remove potential/future nutrition for algae, before they decay and turn in to fertilizer, particularly in a dirty pond.

Either way, mechanical filtration would start right away, it doesnt have to mature. But I suppose the effect would take a while. I believe algae has an average life span of ~3 days, so it would take that long at the very least.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
vertigo72 said:
Ok, call me a nitpicker, but the removal of solids as you describe, is not the function of the biofilter, but its mechanical filtration. Granted, a skippy/doc whatever filter does this in one and the same barrel, and to some extend even using the same filter media, but I dont call that biofiltration, its mechanical filtration. In that sense, removing sludge, organic matter and what not I suppose can remove potential/future nutrition for algae, before they decay and turn in to fertilizer, particularly in a dirty pond.

Either way, mechanical filtration would start right away, it doesnt have to mature. But I suppose the effect would take a while. I believe algae has an average life span of ~3 days, so it would take that long at the very least.

Vertigo, removal of solids is mechanical, yes, if there is a void at all in the bottom that can be backfushed it can be a mechanical discharge. Agree? The media is the bio-filter correct? I need to see the pics to see more detail but the filter can be both. Is this the 100% best way to filter, NO But it's been proven over and over again to work and function. I understand what your saying. I'm not disagreeing, the mechanical starts right away, the bio-takes longer. But your filtering water thru a media, Directly from the pond, it's all got to go in and water has to come out, Mechanical will remove a good bit of algae cells, Cells can live 24hr's -weeks depending on cell type, Some will pass through, If you run water through batting materilal it removes cells so why wouldn't a skippy or DOC or any other filter that id designed to catch any solids, getting them out of the system is the key.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The Doc Bio Filter, if properly made, functions like a Dyson vacuum cleaner. It traps solids in the vortex. The dump valve lends proof to the nasty stuff it traps.
Vertigo, can you please post a photo of your pond?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I think I was looking for instant results as we all want clear water and do not want to wait for it. This morning I see even more improvement than yesterday. I guess I just need to have more patience. My pond is my refuge as I am a school teacher and at the end of the day I like to sit out by the pond and watch the fish in order to relax.

Fishin - I was actually hoping that by running my existing bacteria filled filter through my new filter and adding bacteria to the stock tank that I could avoid a complete cycle again. It seems to be working as the water is a lot clearer this morning. I have been doing a video log of the progress just to document the changes and will post them when I get my final product. I am not exactly sure how to do that just yet...guess I need to read the instruction book huh? I didn't add an additional back flush valve, which looks like I may have goofed up on that one.

Thanks for the welcome DrDave.

Vertigo - my pond is 10x15 and contains 3 - 1ft Koi and several Comets. I added barley bales in March and have added bacteria since then as well.

Thanks for all your help. I will post a video as soon as I install the disk on my pc so you guys can see the process.

Lisa

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I had no luck with my skippy style filter. It could have been an issue of not enough matting to catch all the solids. Last year I purchased some 55 gallon food grade barrells. I made two doc style filters in line(first is the mech. which feed into the bio). My water cleared up in about 36 hours. Same material that was in my skippy was used in the doc. The pump that was running the filters was a pondmaster 2400. It bit the dust at the end of the summer so I hooked up an extra pm1800 pump and covered the pond for the winter(screening). This spring I couldn't get the water clear for nothing. I knew I needed a better pump so I finally sprung for a Sequence 4200. Best $300 I have spent on my pond to date. My water is now clear to the bottom(4') and it took about 4 days total. I also made a small fines filter with pillow matting stuffed into mesh bags and put into a milk crate. That is run with a pm1800 pump. I am going to take some pics later today to share my progress.

Reaction score
I need to do a little research on the mechanical filter. I have explored the doc filters and may need to add one of those as well. They say you can't have enough filtration, right? Can't wait to see your pics!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Nx2ured said:
I need to do a little research on the mechanical filter. I have explored the doc filters and may need to add one of those as well. They say you can't have enough filtration, right? Can't wait to see your pics!

Exactly. I have three 55 gallon docs running from the sequence pump. I needed to clean the mechanical filter daily for three days to get the crud out. Im headed out now to take some pics.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
It overcast outside at the moment so the pics aren't the best.

The first ones are of my filter system. pic 2 & 3 are mech. pic 4 is the bio.

Attachments

• P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 268
  • P6060021 (Custom).JPG
    P6060021 (Custom).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 298
  • P6060022 (Custom).JPG
    P6060022 (Custom).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 311
  • P6060020 (Custom).JPG
    P6060020 (Custom).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 264
  • P6060025 (Custom).JPG
    P6060025 (Custom).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 251

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Here are the fish. Stilll working on getting the tannins out due to leaves that had settled on the bottom but its getting better everyday. I will take some more pics later when the sun is better.

Attachments

• P6060029 (Custom).JPG
    P6060029 (Custom).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 269
  • P6060034 (Custom).JPG
    P6060034 (Custom).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
Koidaddy, do you only have 5 barrels for your 4,000 gal pond, or are those on a different pond? Are those fish from this years spawn?

Ask a Question