Looking For Duckweed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am growing out a slew of unplanned baby goldfish that were hatched last summer. Most are already 5 to 6 inches at about 8 months old.

I bought a cup of duckweed for them, thinking it would last forever. I dumped it all into their 1000 gallon Intex pool and it was gone in 24 hours! Needless to say, they loved the stuff and I want to get more. I think I'm going to have to set up a tank to grow my own, or I'll go broke buying the stuff.

Anyone know a good source for buying it in bulk?

I see ads on ebay for duckweed that is harvested from lakes. Is that a safe bet or should I go for the tank raised plants? These little ones are doing great and I don't want to jeopardize their health and well being.

Anyone want some really healthy and fat young goldfish?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine at Pond Mega-store. They send out a good amount. You need to keep some in a separate container so you have a constant supply. I keep a stock tank filled and the duckweed freezes and comes back every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. I checked them out, but I got more for less money on eBay. I do plan to start growing my own. These little guys really like the fresh treat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ordered a pound of it, tank raised and not gathered from a pond. Thought I would might be able to avoid any pesticides or diseases that way.

I'm definitely going to set up a tank to grow my own with some of this. I've grown some before but let it go. These little guys really like it, so I'll try to keep some going for them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked some up as a tag along. It does grow great in the fishless ponds. I grab handfuls and toss into the ponds with fish. They inhale it

Ask a Question