Looking for marginal fern recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow if it's these guys, I see what you mean - they're huge.
1713919451120.png

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those get 3 and a half feet tall and 5 to 6 feet wide PER PLANT
I’ve never seen our native one here that big, I’ll have to keep a better eye out cause I’d love some that tall. The royal fern I’ve seen locally gets close to that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here in New England they are everywhere in the wetlands and the fiddle heads are huge

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here in New England they are everywhere in the wetlands and the fiddle heads are huge
Makes me wonder if the high summer heat here affects them in some way. I love seeing regional variations in plant species.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL THOSE ARE NOT THE MARSH FERNS .. those are very delicate" fine pedal ferns that grow in a mass and spread by runner . they are half the size of marsh ferns as i know them.
Those in the picture are more like what I’m referring to as Thelypteris palustris. A problem I ran into at my job earlier on in my time with this company was realizing that just in the 3 regions of the Louisiana coast we’re divided into each office had different local common names we were calling the same plants during our summer wetland vegetation assessments. I finally gave in and started learning the Latin names for everything 5 or so years in. The link may help with description some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to tell from a single small photo. But when the " marsh " ferns open up here I'll take a photo of them

Ask a Question