Do pumps require lubrication or oil as maintenance?

Reaction score
I have an Easy Pro TH250 pump that's been running for about 3 years. Recently it stopped spinning. If I manually spin the impeller, it will start up again. Once it is turned off, it freezes up again. I took it apart today and made sure there was nothing jamming it up. It had built up a hard scale which I cleaned off. The manual leaves a lot to be desired. There is a section called oil change, but there is literally no information, just the heading. I called the company today and left a message but have not received a call back.

My question is this: do these pumps require oil changes or lubrication as maintenance? If so, how mad what should I use.

Thanks,

Tobykanobe

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I looked up the manual, and you're correct, there's nothing there about oil change. Also, their website is not the easiest to navigate and there's almost no info there!

Generally, there are no consumer serviceable parts. Since the pumps are supposed to be underwater, they're sealed. In all the pumps I've used there's no lubrication or maintenance to be done, other than to clear the impeller if it gets stuck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oil in a pump is not good for fish so not sure where or why you would add oil .Could be something is stuck inside the shaft of it and grit and stuff will stop a pump .I put the garden hose in the outlet end and back flush my pump every 2 months .

Reaction score
In a closed system, seems to me there should be some lubrication or oil to prevent heat build up or wear.

I may take it apart more and see what I can find. I have another one as a back up that should work fine.

Tobykanobe

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If the pump won't start by itself, but a manual spin will get it going, then it's probably a capacitor-start model. The capacitor gives out over time, and the only cure is a new one. Not usually a DIY-type repair!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two ponds in my yard. One in front approx 10k to 11k gallons and one in my backyard next to a patio 3600 gal with koi in both. Have had both for 20 years. All easy-pro pond pumps (TH150 to TH400) have a clear oil in the base. There are ceramic discs and spring loaded shaft seals inside this is what they use to keep the water out of the motor housing. On top under the handle is where the electrical connections are made there is also a run/start capacitor usually 25uf at 250v. The motor windings have a thermal overload that will shutdown the motor if it gets too hot. There is a plug on the side of the case if removed and water/oil mix comes out then the pump seals must be replaced.
You can do this yourself however probably best to have easy-pro or a pump shop rebuild it. The factory probably won't tell you what oil they use but a "pond guy" told me to use HEAVY mineral oil (intestinal lubricant) you get at the drug store it works and it will not harm the fish if it leaks out. The pump motors get hot therefor it is imperative that the pump be totally submerged in water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1660255674512.gif
@SteveB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it’s alright to reply to old threads, especially when it gives a good answer to a thread that didn’t have one before. The OP will never see it, but all the people who find this thread via search will.

Reaction score
Country
United States
TH 150: where exactly is the plug or screw for refilling with mineral oil? Is it the large nut on the side toward the bottom or the allen screw up on top?
Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TH 150: where exactly is the plug or screw for refilling with mineral oil? Is it the large nut on the side toward the bottom or the allen screw up on top?
Thanks
Frogswelcomev.gif
@Kip B
Sorry I don't know about the TH 150.

Ask a Question