Pondmaster submersible pump maintenance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hello everyone. This is something I learned from trial and error and it applies to those who have never tried to pull an impeller out of a large submersible pump. I live in FL and the water I use for my pond comes right out of the ground. Needless to say my water is hard. The water creates a crust around the impeller until the pump stopped working. In the past I would only get a year or so out of a pump. Well I got tired of sending them to the manufacturer for warranty exchange or buying a new one when the warranty ran out. I started soaking my pumps in vinegar and water for a few days at a time and that would rejuvenate my pumps for a short time and they would stop working after a few days.

Today I took the time to disassemble my Pondmaster pump. The directions say to pull the impeller out and that you might need pliers to do the job. I couldn't get the impeller to budge so I started pulling it out quickly until it taped the cover and gently pushing it back in until I noticed that it was starting to come out. After about 10 minutes I was able to get the impeller out. No pliers needed just some determination. I am now soaking the motor and the impeller in vinegar and water and I plan to use a soft tooth brush to remove the hard scale that built up in the motor and impeller.

Something else I learned is to remove rubber seal rings from your pump before soaking them in vinegar. The vinegar makes the gaskets stretch out and become useless if you don't.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to know, I stick with externals, but I bet they get mucked up also. Our water in arizona sucked, our well water here is way soft.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I am getting away from the PM pumps for that reason. I have 3 18's and a 24 that is giving me fits. I still use an 18 for my fines filter. But I hear yah, it was a problem. How about getting the impellor out of a 24, thats a biatch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have a couple of Becket pumps that I need to take apart and look at the impellers after I am finished with my PM. I am considering going to an external pump one day. The cost is a little more but I understand that they last longer than submersible pumps. I can even run a dedicated 220 line out to the pump to reduce the electrical expense.

The more I read on the forum the more ideas I get for my ponds. I am considering a bog filter, especially after reading the post on the forum that gives very specific directions. My Lily pond is much lower than my koi pond so I worry about overflow and running a pump dry. I can use a gravity feed to the Lily pond once I raise the walls to an equal height of the main pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
soaking your pump is good to keep them alive. i do the same with the pumps in my reef tank. you can also use muertiac acid for a much faster soak ( about an hour ) but they require a really good rinsing after. and always remove any rubber rings!

Ask a Question