Mason/ Leaf Cutter House

B

Burd

I’m going to remove the red pc that’s slotted, and the sawdust. Not sure what the sawdust is for. And what is the pine one for?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need some bee education :) Should I provide a bee house, as these bees need shelter? Are their habitat's limited due to development?
Just like every critter in this world their habitats are being destroyed. They like to nest in tubes, ends of garden hoses, pieces of small pvc left outside, hollow pieces of plants, etc. You are giving them a home to use.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the slotted piece might be for butterflies. Not sure why they combined it with a bee house. And maybe the bees use the sawdust? No clue on that one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very fun project @addy1 !

The one thing I've heard is you should somehow mark the ends of the tubes so they all look a bit different. Mine looks like the ends were scorched a bit so they all have a different black burn pattern. It makes it easier for the bees to pick out their spot when they return. It's like trying to find a house in a subdivision when all the houses look the same! @Burd yours are all different sizes and shapes which is another option.

B

Burd

Here’s the small pot on this plant I brought in. It was down in the other plant that died off . I didn’t see it when the other plants were there

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The box on that bee house says, butterfly’s, bees, lacewings, and ladybugs.

So it's like a little diverse community dwelling! haha! I wonder if all those insect types would even live in such close proximity.

B

Burd

I never saw a Butterfly, lady bug or lacewing. there is some kind of bug on it there, look in the pic.

B

Burd

The new Bee House it filling up. Funny, the other one I had up last year, they won't use now
88E3C075-C296-411C-8F5D-71BC34108C18.jpeg

Ask a Question