Mason/ Leaf Cutter House

B

Burd

I saw a display at Meijers the other day, they are putting the spring stuff out already, it was a rack of bee houses.
time to get ready for spring. Have them ready.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just took down my bee houses earlier this winter. I got tired of the maintenance and I've got a lot of stems of various sizes in my garden now, so they'll do the job.

B

Burd

In all the excitement, I forgot to look at the Mason Houses, looks like some came out, 3-4 we’re flying around them, it’s warm here today.
C3719D95-7CA2-4866-8581-822856ED246A.jpeg
21FF5688-6242-446D-9307-DF67C8BD2BEC.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to re-nail mine, they fell apart. Got both from costco

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Last year I put up a bat house. A really good one from one of those bat conservancy organizations.
No residents last year. I'm thinking it had to acclimate for a year or so.
I'm hoping someone will find it this year. I tried doing all the "right" things as far as location, color, height etc.
We'll see when it gets warm out. Maybe I'll get lucky.

B

Burd

I want to make a Cedar bathouse to the pitch of the roof. But it’s on the west side of the house. Is that suitable for bats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are a lot of parameters for mounting your bat house and it's construction. I don't recall all of them so it's best to research bat specific organizations.
I remember there should be water no further than 1500 feet. Since we have ponds, that shouldn't be a problem.
I think it has to be at least 8 feet off the ground and away from predators.
It's color depends on where you live. I'm in northeastern PA and mine had to be black to attract as much heat as possible. So, direct sunlight is needed for most of the day.
There are many cheap models out there that are not good. The inside needs to be roughed up so they can hold on. Some cheap ones nail screening to the inside for that reason. You don't want that type.
Here's one good place to start:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread by changing the subject to bats. It just seemed similar to what the OP was doing. Bees, birds, bats and other winged friends...all great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year I put up a bat house. A really good one from one of those bat conservancy organizations.
No residents last year. I'm thinking it had to acclimate for a year or so.
I'm hoping someone will find it this year. I tried doing all the "right" things as far as location, color, height etc.
We'll see when it gets warm out. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Flight path can be an issue they like a nice wide opening to take off into and or come in for a landing

B

Burd

This is my west side. Think its hot enough? I want to do a nice house up in the top of the gable.
8DF2E372-DD48-4552-B295-5186E3834FA6.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can attach it to your house, but they will make a mess of your siding with all that bat guano. So it's best to mount it on a free standing pole or on a tree.
Not positive, but I think you want southern exposure for best warmth.

B

Burd

The mason bees are out in force, when it’s warm that is. It snowed tonight again. Yesterday, a mason bee was in the kitchen window, inside the house, I got him in a glass back out. Lol
problem, my new bee hotel is made from cedar 4x4 cuttoffs. They won’t go in any of the holes. ?? They dont like cedar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a mason bee house question. I put my first ones up last Spring. About 3/4 of the holes were used. Will the empty ones still there be used this year? Or do I need a whole new house? Once the holes are filled up, and the bees exit, will they be used again somehow? Or is it a one time use per hole?
Barb

Ask a Question