Mi pawnd rebild tew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I had a thought today... Are you scared yet? ;)
I will be tearing the waterfall down completely this coming Summer, and I need to pull out the filters and pack some more sand under them to get them re-leveled (now that the soil has settled) and adjusted to the same height. While I have everything apart, I was considering how I could adjust the waterfall itself to reduce the amount of water loss from the wind. What I came up with is rebuilding the waterfall in a slight horseshoe shape (i have room to push the center in by about 6 inches). I also want to create a stairstep affect with the rows of bricks to make the water run down the face rather than pouring off the top. Combining the two ideas, I would end up with a falls that has the curve across the top edge, then steps down until it is straight across the bottom front edge. Hopefully the combination will prevent the wind from just stripping all the airborne water backwards into the neighbor's yard. With a few smaller bricks sticking out a bit (similar to what I already have) I would get a few trickles of water dropping into the pond to give me the sound I want, but the bulk of the water would rush down the face of the bricks and minimize splashing around the outside of the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well what are you waiting for..........isn't the weather there as nice as everyone else is having? Anyways it sounds like a good idea to me what you are planning to do. Should block in the flow so it can't jump out like it has been doing. I think it's will look cool also!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yeah I agree, I think the curve will give it an interesting look... Yes the weather has been fair, however to tear down and rebuild the waterfall, I have to get IN the pond - and I have a hard enough time wading in to an 80-degree lake! There's no way I'm going for a swim in 40-degree water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Puck,puck,puck...........puckahhhhhhhhhhh
chicken4.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Refreshing dip in 40 dgree weather will make you feel young and full pep and will invigorize you .Make you feel young again LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
And shrinkage will go away eventually
ooolala.gif

I was trying to keep it family-friendly and not go there... but since you broached the subject... *snicker*

The water has been back in the 40's again this week, and we've had temps into the 60's for several days. The fish have been enjoying it, out swimming quite a lot, and I gave them a bit of food last night. Time to pay the piper - snow storm rolling in right now. They are actually predicting 12-22" of snow by the end of Friday. Not that I believe it, but that's what they say. Regardless, we are definitely looking at a lot of snow on the yard, and there should be no issues with the water level in the pond running low for the next few days.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry couldn't resist
giggle.gif

Wow sounds like you are going to get hit w/ a real kicker of a snow storm!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep watching the weather channel they got the soft powdery stuff that blows around and drifts but at least light enough to shovel .Want to borrow my snow shovel it is all lonely and sad here sitting next to my side porch door .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a new one with the tags still on it, guess I will need to remove them now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my snow shovels are over 30 years old so they have a long history and one snow shovel i have was my dads and has a date on it of 1910 I guess it is for old snow .LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'm not sure what the official total was, but we definitely got snow. I measured 11 inches on the driveway at 6am Friday, and it continued to snow through Saturday.

img_6445.jpg

img_6447.jpg

It actually stayed reasonably warm out, which is probably why we got so much snow, but the water never froze over either. Despite the lack of ice, the snow still tried to creep out over the surface of the water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esvenson

Latest Threads