Mi pawnd rebild tew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I hope they will. I really love the look of cattails, and I keep hoping they will do well, but I've never had any survive before. The pond is well established now, though, so they have a decent chance.

I was looking through old photos last night and realized it has now been exactly one year since I had my horrible algae bloom (May 30th), and there is no sign of it happening again this year. I guess all the new plants are doing their job, keeping the nutrients down low enough that the algae can't go crazy. Yay!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your pond has really filled in nicely, everything looks so lush and full. getting about time to finish that liner around the water fall huh? LOL Seriously it really looks good, I can only wish mine would fill in like that, Hopefully soon we can get something going on the koi pond to start trying to finish up my front yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yeah the waterfall is really bugging me, however the water temps are still in the 60's, so I've been waiting for it to warm up a lot more before I expose my blinding-white legs to the torture. The good news is I found a nearby nursery that still carries liner by the foot at a decent price, so I'll get some measurements soon and grab a new piece so I'm ready to go when the time comes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ahhhh, I forget about how far north you are. LOL I've been in and out of my new pond several times already this season. My water temps are holding pretty steady about 80 degrees at the warmest in the day down to about 76 my very early morning. I've even sat on the feeding deck and stuck my feet in the pond for the koi to bite on. Shamu and Big red are the only two that will play with my feet so far but once in a while lucky will get close enough you can feel his fins rub against my legs.
The water fall side of my pond is pretty close to complete, the other side is far far from it, I'm ashamed to show pics very often as it looks horrible but I'm having to take the projects step by step. The Koi pond was not AS important to get started. BUT I'm ready! LOL

Attachments

• pond update pics 009.JPG
    pond update pics 009.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Purdin koi- lightning strikes 001.JPG
    Purdin koi- lightning strikes 001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Purdin koi- lightning strikes 005.JPG
    Purdin koi- lightning strikes 005.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Wow that's a huge pond! I wish I had a yard big enough for a really decent size pond. Not sure why you'd be ashamed to show pics, you know they all start out as a big ugly hole in the ground!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez Larkin you haven't been at your new place for that long..............you keep complaining about how stuff is laying here and there and messing up your look...............you gonna give some of us here a guilt complex cuz we've been living here for yrs and still need to put stuff in their rightful places! Now just stop it cuz we love looking at all you've accomplished.............it's gorgeous!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn if you ever get that liner around your falls finished you will be glad you got out there white legs and all cuz your pond looks so nice now and will look fantastic once the falls are done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I made a great discovery this weekend... My variegated cattails that appeared to have died off soon after planting them... They are in fact alive and sprouting many new leaves on both plants! I'm not sure how much they will grow this season, but it looks promising that they'll do well next year.

Also getting very close to time to rebuild the waterfall. We're getting near-100 degree weather this week and I'm getting some practice with the hydraulic cement. I should run and get the new piece of liner here soon, but I might try getting started next week on this. My fish won't be happy about the pumps being shut down for so long, but if I have everything ready to go, maybe I can get the waterfall torn down one day, rebuilt the next day, and not have the pumps off more than a day and a half.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, didn't know there where variegated cat tails, sounds pretty

I just found some of my white star grass growing in the bog, it is a tropical, but survived our mild winter, it must have froze we did get some ice coverage.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't know either about the variegated ones. Would be neat to see a picture of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I'll try to get a picture once they have grown. Right now both plants just have a few short leaves, so there's not much to see. The leaves are green and white striped, but otherwise appear to look like any other cattail. I thought they would stand out nicely against the solid green of the iris leaves.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok then get them growing good and I bet they will look super! I have some mini not variegated ones that are starting to grow now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I used to have this really large pond in my back yard... but it seems to have overgrown with all kinds of plants!

img_6984.jpg

img_6983.jpg

Oh look! I see a bit of water!
img_6985.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow it's plants gone wild! They love it there so much they are making many family members :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol mine looks like a lily patch! but the water is cool, the fish are happy, no algae, no heron visiting, so leaving it be.

Honey always says in the winter, wow we have water in the pond!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gohip

Latest Threads