Milk crate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have experience using this in a pond? The one I have says HDPE #2. Will that be safe for the fish? I want to turn it on its side to provide a hiding spot and place a plant on top.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not sure what plastic the ones I have are but I have used them for years in my ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my pond, I have a couple of plants in plastic pots and I haven't had any issues. I don't know exactly what type of plastic they are but I'm pretty confident that plastic is safe for fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Considering the fact that “plastic milk crates” have been a pond staple since the beginning of time…..(just joking).

If the ones you are talking about are like the ones sold at Tractor Supply ( and these are listed as HDPE on their web site), or similar, you should be OK. But avoid the ones sold at craft stores, etc. I don’t know what kind of plastic they are made from, but they aren’t UV stable and will become brittle and shatter.

Here are pics of what I did with mine. Rather than turn them on their side, I cut out the side panels (and smoothed the edges so there was nothing sharp), and turned them upside down to use as a plant stand. Now the fish can swim in and out without having to think about it. I did it this way after I found a goldfish that had gotten stuck inside one of the smaller holes. To keep the plants from sliding off, I made a little frame-thingy with PVC pipe and zip-tied it to the top. I did end up having to zip-tie a clay pot to the top (inside) to keep them from floating (but that was just my experience — I usually overthink things).

IMG_1419.jpegIMG_2902.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Considering the fact that “plastic milk crates” have been a pond staple since the beginning of time…..(just joking).

If the ones you are talking about are like the ones sold at Tractor Supply ( and these are listed as HDPE on their web site), or similar, you should be OK. But avoid the ones sold at craft stores, etc. I don’t know what kind of plastic they are made from, but they aren’t UV stable and will become brittle and shatter.

Here are pics of what I did with mine. Rather than turn them on their side, I cut out the side panels (and smoothed the edges so there was nothing sharp), and turned them upside down to use as a plant stand. Now the fish can swim in and out without having to think about it. I did it this way after I found a goldfish that had gotten stuck inside one of the smaller holes. To keep the plants from sliding off, I made a little frame-thingy with PVC pipe and zip-tied it to the top. I did end up having to zip-tie a clay pot to the top (inside) to keep them from floating (but that was just my experience — I usually overthink things).

View attachment 160532View attachment 160533
Great idea's!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

View attachment 160532View attachment 160533
I'm gonna have to steal your pvc plant stabilizer thing idea! My lily's life literally hangs in the balance!

Ask a Question