Miracle Grow

Reaction score
I was reading on a couple of web sites that sell plants and they were saying that you can feed your floating plants by putting 1 tbs of Miracle Grow to each 1000 gals of water. They did not say if it was safe for fish so I am asking the forum here. Is it safe to use with fish in your pond.
Thanks
Bart

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would put money on a large algae bloom, not long after it hits the water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bad idea, scrap that one. Algae bloom is about the best you could hope for, possibly worse.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once you have a good fish load they will feed the plants. Do like stroppy suggests a different container for the plants let them get well fertilized then back into the fish pond.

Reaction score
1 Tbs per 1000 gal isn't enough to do any good or harm. But if you have enough plant coverage you can hit them with the miracle feeder just fast enough to dampen the leaves not run off. Plants can take a lot of nutrients through the leaves especially the micronutrients.

Reaction score
I don't use miracle grow on ANYTHING in any of my gardens. That stuff remains in the dirt for years and years. But, I especially wouldn't use it in the pond. If it's ingested- it can cause vomiting and mouth and throat irritation. It can also damage mammals air and lungs. Not sure what it would do to fish, but I'm not willing to find out.

Ask a Question