Water Hyacinth Help. Need help with Miracle Gro Dosage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I guess the fish are not pooping as much and the sun is lower in the sky, but my water hyacinth's are not growing as they were. I would like to put some of them in Rubbermaid containers and add Miracle Gro to the containers. I just don't know how much as the only liquid Miracle Gro I could find is for their feeding system. It doesn't have dosage instructions.

I have 18 Gallon containers. The Miracle Gro product I bought was LiquaFeed Bloom Booster.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll go ahead and fill the containers and add chlorine remover. I'll add the Miracle Gro when someone comes by to help.

Thanks

Phil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1/'4 of a teaspoon at first or you could burn the roots and then 4 days if you don't see more greening add another 1/4 .I sometimes add a half teaspoon but not often .When I want more babies I add half teaspoon .But to green them up 1/4 a teaspoon is enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for your quick response sissy. I believe it was your post a ways back that gave me the idea.

Seems that 1/4 of a tsp is a small small amount for 18 gallons. But I trust you & that is what I put in each container. Now to wait and see. lol

I'll let you know what happens..

Phil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My son took this pic of the water hyacinths. They are small but nice and green. They have a root system that hangs down about 6 to 8 inch's. I hope the miracle gro will help them to gro.. lol

I'll post pics here when they do start to grow..

I hope I didn't put too many in these tubs.. I have many more in the pond..

20170102_192013.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I watch for them t perk up or change color a little if they don't after 3 days then I add more .But that is for just a few water hyacinth 2 or 3 .I have mine in my basement tubs for the winter and added some today .I also add a tiny bit of epsom salts to mine in the basement to keep the water fresh .Just in case anyone wants to over winter them .It boosts the miracle grow and it helps the plants .Mine is a 50 gallon tank and a 40 gallon tub

Reaction score
I thought I would update this topic. After a couple of months the plants are doing well. Here is a new pic.

Much more growth. I think they are happy.. lol

View attachment 97704
That looks better. I was going to mention it's much better to grow them compact like that than loose like in your first picture so the leaves hide the roots. The Miricle grow can also feed algae that will grow in the water and on the roots, but if you can grow them dense enough you can block out the light from reaching the water and the roots it will help minimize the algae growth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know last year I had some in my waterfall that got 4 feet tall .They grew like crazy
100_8615.JPG
100_8886.JPG

Ask a Question