Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
HTH said:
We HAD a similar sized on in our living room greenhouse bump out at our last house. . It was surrounded by huge tropical greenery. .You are making homesick. And yes I like yours too :)
Sorry to make you homesick:-( I wish we could have put a greenhouse bump on this house, but with the house itself, I was already pushing the limits on the set back issues.

HTH said:
I love looking at your baby koi !
The ones in the 750 I got as a super bargain off of ebay late in the fall, It is near impossible to get much for variety here. I'm not looking for even remotely high end, I just wanted different colors, and all the places here just get the same stock over and over again. These guys, and hubby's lily obcession is why another pond is being started LOL. I started with a total of 113, of which I HAD to cull 8 (crooked spines) when they arrived, and lost two who just were not growing, so still have 103 of them to pick from. Hoping to pull a bunch to sell on Craigslist when it's time to move them outside. Unfortunely, I like too many of them LOL. My goal is no more than 2 of the same color pattern, but want to let them grow a bit before deciding who the keepers are.

The 600 has a combo of pond spawn comets, shunkins and koi, and I have really enjoyed watching them all grow. In the past, I never had that option. The pond was too small, and when a spawning did happen, well, the buffet was open for all the eggs and fry to disappear quickly.

Reaction score
j.w said:
Lots of them in there and all look quite cozy in that last pic!
They knew we were there and wanted breakfast LOL... This is an older picture, and you really cant see that much (another view of the Tancho Sanke, in front of the basket, from the last pic that I want to keep), but the fry basket with the smaller fish is in the middle of the pond. The surface area of the 750 measures 5' x 10' .. they are in the basket to have a better chance at the food from the bigger piggies:)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
@capwind
We visited a koi farm about 20 years ago and did much the same thing. We showed up and helped them cull. In the process we got to keep what we liked but they had veto power. We kept them for a few months and sold all but the best to the LFS.

Unfortunately I lost all but 3 small ones on this last move. It was one of the things where everything seems to conspire against you. The fish farm is still there and we are contemplating trying it again. Unfortunately we would have to make new connections to sell them it may be worth a try. But that may be a ways out as I still have to dig the koi pond back in.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
lookin' good there capewind...i'm down to about 10 fish left in the basement pond (not including my adults).. for still being "preseason", sales went well. only a week, ( a week today in fact), and 60+ are gone. gonna have to drain the outdoor pond and catch the ones out there real soon!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
lookin' good there capewind...i'm down to about 10 fish left in the basement pond (not including my adults).. for still being "preseason", sales went well. only a week, ( a week today in fact), and 60+ are gone. gonna have to drain the outdoor pond and catch the ones out there real soon!
Thank you. I dont feel like I am making much progress narrowing my choices LOL. I just saw your other post. Amazing considering that it is still pre-season. Still too cold here I think to find much for homes here.

Meanwhile, hubby finally has all the parts he needs and is making progress getting the baby skippy set up on the 600. He says a few more minutes and it will be ready to fire up. These are the last pics I took... the "thing" under the skippy is a heater (for the plants) that isnt where it needs to go yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, so now I have a question that you guys might be able to help with!

My mini-me skippy filter drips from the connection between the bathtub outflow and the pipe that I have to use in order to get the water back into the pond. I have no idea what I can use to _stop_ that which would still allow the pipe to be removed if I need to move things around. I suppose I don't _have_ to be able to remove it, but it would be really handy!

It's not a snug enough fit to not drip, and depending on angle of connection, it drips more or less.

This is the general idea:
med_gallery_5461_352_1048865.jpg

And this is up close to the point where it leaks:
med_gallery_5461_352_228269.jpg

(and the waterfall appears to leak, and having _just_ disassembled it down almost to the liner (sigh; should have gone all the way down!), I'd prefer to get the pipe working and fix the waterfall later)

Reaction score
Taking dictation from hubby ... first ... are you sure the shower drain assembly itself isnt leaking? The tub is looking a bit rough, so just want to rule that out ...

The shower drain is threaded and MALE ... put in a FEMALE "union" next ... an O ring style connector ...

Be sure to use teflon tape between the shower drain and "union" connection ...

Here;s a pic of a union ... this one is SLIP (non threaded) but the same thing ...

Then you can hard plumb the other side of the pipe to the pond, and still be able to disconnect/remove it ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
capewind said:
Taking dictation from hubby ... first ... are you sure the shower drain assembly itself isnt leaking? The tub is looking a bit rough, so just want to rule that out ...
It's fine, actually. You're not seeing much of the tub, truth to be told. Most of the black in the close photo is my attempt to get great stuff pond & stone to prevent the waterfall from leaking.

Oh, and the liner from the previous owners of the house is in there, too.

And thank you to your hubby!

capewind said:
The shower drain is threaded and MALE ... put in a FEMALE "union" next ... an O ring style connector ...

Be sure to use teflon tape between the shower drain and "union" connection ...

Here;s a pic of a union ... this one is SLIP (non threaded) but the same thing ...
Alright. So, the shower drain is 2", which I vaguely recall made finding a connector difficult at Home Depot.

I presume the union in question is threaded at one, and not both, ends? Is there specific terminology for that, since I will need to hunt online to find anything if Home Depot doesn't have it.

(the closet match I found online at home depot.com is: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...+in.+Schedule+80+PVC+S+x+S+Union#.UXcQJMp48b0 and I cannot tell if it's the right thing or not. The term "Schedule 80" confuses me. :)

I believe that we have teflon tape, but that seems far easier to find than the union!

capewind said:

Then you can hard plumb the other side of the pipe to the pond, and still be able to disconnect/remove it ...
How is the other side connecting and not leaking? Purely slip, but a better fit since it's a PVC end and not a shower drain end? (I presume yes, but wanted to check)

Thanks again!

Sz

Reaction score
wispfox said:
Alright. So, the shower drain is 2", which I vaguely recall made finding a connector difficult at Home Depot.
I absolutely hate HD .. just went to the one in Hyannis Sunday for fittings and they didnt have crap ... ended up driving over to Lowes in Wareham ... at least they had nearly everything we needed ... Go to a normal plumbing supply place ... they'll have it ...

wispfox said:
I presume the union in question is threaded at one, and not both, ends? Is there specific terminology for that, since I will need to hunt online to find anything if Home Depot doesn't have it.
Hubby is napping ... Just tell a real supply house that you need a 2" union, female on one end, slip on the other ... they'll understand ...

wispfox said:
(the closet match I found online at home depot.com is: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...+in.+Schedule+80+PVC+S+x+S+Union#.UXcQJMp48b0 and I cannot tell if it's the right thing or not. The term "Schedule 80" confuses me. :)
I cant ask hubby the difference right now, will try to remember when I get him up, or if someone else sees this, they can answer ... the one posted is slip by slip ... non threaded at both ends ... SLIPS on ...

wispfox said:
I believe that we have teflon tape, but that seems far easier to find than the union!
I just learned the real name ... for years hubby has called if F-off and die tape LOL ...

wispfox said:
How is the other side connecting and not leaking? Purely slip, but a better fit since it's a PVC end and not a shower drain end? (I presume yes, but wanted to check)
Rough the end of your pvc with a piece of sandpaper, clean with pvc piper cleaner, and then apply pvc pipe glue (well ventilated area or you'll be stoned from the fumes LOL) ...

Ask a Question