sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what happen to me the roots and I thought about pulling my pump as it can be made into external also and adding a leaf basket before the pump but don't really want to change anything again once the waterfall is done i am done .I really don't have much time for it anymore .With all the yard work now and house and stuff ,i just can't get caught up .Seems like I feel like I get ahead to look and see more .Gosh just mowed the lawn and it needs done again .I cut it high in the spring to choke out weeds and just makes me have to mow more .

Reaction score
He put this thing on the plant pond in the basement to see how well it would pick up all of the floating roots, and it works amazingly well (its getting more than roots). So he is doing something similar with a 55 gallon barrel outside on the main pond, and then plumbing to another 55 gallon barrel (to which I dont understand) and then plumbing the last barrel to the existing filter. I feel like he is always improving for things I do to the pond LOL ... Cant help it, I like water hyacinths LOL. But this is why I am worrying about my bright idea of putting the skippy filter at the top of the waterfall ... I can still get plants into the area at the top of the waterfall without putting the skippy filter there ... I am sure I will like however he does the next pond, but now he is thinking I really want this, so plans it ... I dont want to make more work for him LOL. SO if anyone can tell me some negatives to putting the skippy at the top of the waterfall, then I can say, hey, maybe my idea wasnt so great.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
where else would you put a skippy? mine is at the top of my falls, and i wouldnt consider it any where else! except somewhere else as another waterfall basin / filter. and i strongly suggest one of my waterfall weirs!...same material (HDPE .polyethelene structural plastic) as the stocktank, but even denser,and stronger

Reaction score
His original plan was to put the skippy over at the bog as another waterfall, which will be opposite this waterfall... I dont know how he plans the outlet for the waterfall to be .. I know I want it wide ... the stock tank is 58" wide, and I want to be near/into that ballpark for the actual width of water flow. I want to be able to put plants on either side, and not have the waterfall look like a trickle when the plants grow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just put 2 tank adapters on the front of my tank and could be 3 but decided on 2 and going to put an overflow one in the back and that will run down to the liner i want to put plants floating and potted in my tank so it needed to be tank adapters or floating plants would wash right out .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53604]

Reaction score
I want a wide path of water coming down the falls (atleast 4 foot wide) ... will need to do some type of weir like what Koiguy makes, I think. I'm staying out of the construction of that LOL.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
536911_525806150820697_114569751_n.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If the floating water plant roots get sucked into filter, keep the floaters contained to one side of the pond. I used to take a long dead worn out stick and lay it across the area you want to keep the floaters back, and then they can not float past the stick and into the pump. You can fasten the stick to the outside of pond and keep it from moving. The stick will hold the floating plants back. Does this help? :)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
capewind said:
Thanks JW:) Working on a divider panel for the plant pond now...
I used 50% shade cloth from home depot. Used a chain link pipe on top and PVC on the bottom. Weighted bottom with concrete blocks. Made block towers on the banks and center of the 20 foot span to support the chain link. Lots of spring clamps but you can sew it. But ugly but it kept the koi on one side and goldfish on the other for 2 years. I am sure you could do the same thing with a bit of style :)

Just imagine a flooded tennis court.

Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
If the floating water plant roots get sucked into filter, keep the floaters contained to one side of the pond. I used to take a long dead worn out stick and lay it across the area you want to keep the floaters back, and then they can not float past the stick and into the pump. You can fasten the stick to the outside of pond and keep it from moving. The stick will hold the floating plants back. Does this help? :)
It may help a normal person, but not what I did to HIS pond LOL ... Pic from last summer ... Note they are all held back ... hubby saying the REAL issue is all the little landscapers in the pond who prune the roots LOL....

Reaction score
HTH said:
I used 50% shade cloth from home depot. Used a chain link pipe on top and PVC on the bottom. Weighted bottom with concrete blocks. Made block towers on the banks and center of the 20 foot span to support the chain link. Lots of spring clamps but you can sew it. But ugly but it kept the koi on one side and goldfish on the other for 2 years. I am sure you could do the same thing with a bit of style :)

Just imagine a flooded tennis court.
This is what I made for a divider panel for the plant pond ...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, KOI Guy, it is true, and they were mostly voted in by the majority. I quit being all "shocked and scared" as it is the way of the future, you will see this more and more every year. I am not a Muslim, but I see the "writing on the wall", and am OK with it as what "will be will be". They are mostly the fastest growing population of people living in America, and not all of them are scary. Their children marry young, most of them are all about family, and have very large familes, unlike most us and our children. They will quite simply breed us out of the majority vote and there is nothing we can do about that, cause in America, all are free to choose ..... until that changes too!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually only Obama was voted in, and by the majority of "electoral college" votes, not popular votes. the electoral college is an antiquated system that should be eliminated. . for the presidency, it should be a totally "popular vote" system!! the rest of them were basically appointed by Obama. .

Ask a Question