Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
So I start threads, and then can never find them... going to bookmark this one! LOL.

Well, been wanting a blue bowl to try to take fish pictures in, but hadnt gotten around to getting one, and then realized we DID have a blue bowl, so even tho the lighting wasnt the best, gave it a shot. Figured I'd post the resulting pics... Of course, we have 7 babies who are very similar to this guy, and plan on keeping two of them, and of course the first one caught couldnt be one of the "keepers" LOL. Oh well...

DSCN5714_zpsda5ce211.jpg

DSCN5709_zpsc4486cbf.jpg

Reaction score
I like the little guy who almost went over the water fall.... the pics are posted in the order he took them, so you can see that one getting closer and closer, then had walked forward LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great shots, thanks for sharing. I love watching the birds bath in the water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Robins, already! Haven't seen any here, yet. Mostly migrating goldfinches are all I'm seeing so far. Great pics! I love birds & had to chase a neighborhood cat out of the yard today -- it was "talking" to my cats [ours are indoor cats] through a window this morning, but then I realized how close the window ledge was to a feeder.... Casper may have thought "Big Orange" was visiting HIM, but I know the real reason for the visit!

Reaction score
I think these Robins are confused. They normally leave us in Dec and we wont see them again til maybe the end of Febrruary or March...

Reaction score
Is it once they miss the migration, they just stay and stick it out? or why would there be so many? are they young? Im just learning about the birds around my area, I would think they wouldnt have much to eat with everything frozen?

Reaction score
I dont know... I really dont pay a whole lot of attention to which varieties are here when. Other than some brief periods, we've been unusually warm, so thinking that may have something to do with it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat pix of the birds bathing CW. Next pond I build is going to have a stream and a bog.That will prolly be whenever we move from this house tho. Love to have the birds come to drink from my pond and they try hard to find a spot where they can get a little bath in but mine is straight sided down deep so only a few spots among the rocks for them and they fight over them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know about Robins specifically, but many birds migrate due to food sources. Migration can be driven by food requirements and/or mating requirements. Those moving due to food issues move as the food becomes scarce. So it depends on their primary and secondary preferred foods, their availability and harshness of the weather. We often have a few Robins stay around the whole season. As some migrate, it reduces the demand on the food supply so some can stay. Backyard feeders can also keep Robins stay around when they might normally have to move on.

Here's a good article on Robins touching on how and why they migrate.

http://www.massaudub...0Behavior&id=18

Craig

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That is strange that many robins are hanging out up there
Real early spring flocks come trough hear heading back north some stay for the summer

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just the other day we had about 12 or more robins eating the crabapples off my tree. I usually never see that many at one time especially this time of year.

Ask a Question