Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
HTH said:
I was good friends with the district super at that time. When I suggested that a home school kid should take part in the music program his hair stood up on end. A quick google did now show lead me to the actual law. Not that interested and not about to fight the cause as I have no kids and do not know any at this thime.
Just file it away as useless information, but at some point in the future, even in a grocery store, you overhear a family speaking of being treated unfairly, you can tell them, hey, I looked up that law not too long ago ... it isnt just about this subject, but so many people forget or dont know THEY HAVE RIGHTS.

I really didnt have many issues with the school on the homeschooling subject, but that was because I had HELP from the private school telling me our rights.

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
I was under the impression that the kids that were home schooled received a better education than those children that were not. I remember years ago, when was living in Rochester NY, I worked with a woman that was home schooling both of her children - I believe this was about 1985-87. She told me about what she had to do in order to educate those kids and what type of criteria she had to meet, although I was also under the impression that different lessons learned could feed into multipls subjects -

What I do not know is if the criteria for home schooling back in the mid 80's has changed any - why do I think it has?
Each state can have their own laws, but the basics of the law is that homeschool children will receive a comparable education as if they attended the public school in their district (most will receive a superior education). The laws in my state have gotten easier since the mid 1980s due to court cases regarding the parents rights to educate their children.

For my district, I met with the super's office once a year, every June, for about an hour. I kept a binder of work samples and tests for each subject, per child, with notes of any additional programs or field trips they may have attended that year. which they would keep to review for a couple of weeks,, and then call me to come pick the material up when they were through. At that same meeting where I brought in their portfolios, I would provide a LOI (letter of intent) for the new/coming school year, that identified each child by name, date of birth, grade level, and the intended materials I intended to use (it did not need to be detailed, but since we worked from textbooks, I supplied the name/publisher of each book, as it made it easier for me) ... So when I would go back to pick up their previous work, I would also receive a new letter, documenting we had met the districts approval to homeschool another year.

As far as "different lessons could feed into multi subjects" ... those are called Theme Units, or Cross Curricula activities. More common at the lower levels. You can buy specific workbooks like this (usually about 60 pages or so), but unless it was something of special interests, we rarely did those, as standard textbooks do this throughout. Nearly all subjects interact. Math word problems are not just numbers, but reading, rationalization, and common sense ... you cant touch a science book without doing math ... cant read any of the textbooks without reading and writing skills ...

The sun is in my eyes right now, so the sun ... A themed unit at a mid-upper elementary level could be about the sun ... It can become an art project, a science fair project, a math project relating to size or distance, it could be a lesson in photosynthesis, chemistry, a report (that covers language/grammar skill development, science, etc) ...

I did a lot of travel up/down the coast for dog shows ... our kids learned basic map skills first from AAA trip maps ... they would tell me where to go, when gas was coming up, known radar trap areas, if there was construction ... all three had this mastered by the ages of 6-8 ... as we passed through a state or an area, the environment could suggest what industries were in the area, talk about state capitals, the state nicknames, population ... if it was rural, suburban or city, and on and on ... I wasnt trying to TEACH during these trips, it was just conversations to entertain them while we were on the road.

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, she had to keep very detailed accounts of what type of work was given to the children. I remember thinking to myself that her children were probably getting a better education than the other children in NYS. Back in the mid 80's that may very well have been the case too.

I have often wondered what happened to that lady and her family as I am the one that moved out of state.

I think it is a good thing that your children have learned how to read a map. We are very dependent upon GPS and the like in today's society, but I think it is good to know how to read a map. One never knows when one will need that skill.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
419264_3111632486715_768051377_n.jpg
LOL.. WISHFUL THINKING?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You better love them Cape as they will be w/ you forever and ever Amen! Oh boy are they invasive, yah ma ma whooohoooooo!!!

Reaction score
I love love love Grape Hyacinths ... they are welcome to be as invasive as they want (will be sure to put some plant spikes near them to help LOL) ... I have a couple spots next to the main pond where I want some too, but it still needs another course of rocks (and the dirt to come up more) before I can plant any there.

This bed is between the pond and the bog (whenever it gets done) ... I would love for this whole bed to be full of them in the spring ... the low growing greens that can be seen are Aster, which bloom in the summer ... hoping these two plants can take over the bed ... or at least til the thread leaf (green) gets going. The daffodils just got stuck there for temp so we can find them again to move them once their bed is ready for them. The blooming ones were rescued from the side of the driveway a few days ago (where they could be run over) ... the wilted ones behind them were a bonus that hubby came home with last night.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
once they spread and fill in the smell will be fantastic next spring .The yellow daffodil just adds to it .Gosh just think when you have a whole mass of those 2 .The pic of them will be spectacular .

Ask a Question