Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
MitchM said:
Hey how come there are no negative posts about congress and the senate? :)

Friday afternoon it took less than 30 seconds of voting between the two to give themselves back their privileges to start with their insider trading again.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...congressional-knowledge-the-stock-act-insider
Have at it LOL ... I for one have been avoidiing the news after following most of the Boston Marathon Bombings coverage. I get too frustrated with how screwed up this country is and take some breaks from reality when I can.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was just watching a garden show that shows new plants and see they came up with a purple and white hosta (well really lavender they said ) It won't be on the market for at least 4 or 5 years maybe .It was in test garden sight .That will be interesting to see if it pans out .They are having pest problems with it and some wilt and dieing off in both sun and shade they are saying .Plus they can't seem to get the color to be true .Geeze seems like they go through a lot for a plant .

Reaction score
sissy said:
once they spread and fill in the smell will be fantastic next spring .
and they are right under one of the bay windows in the familyroom too ...

sissy said:
The yellow daffodil just adds to it .Gosh just think when you have a whole mass of those 2 .The pic of them will be spectacular .
I agree the purple/blue of the grape hyacinths and daffodils look great together. This bed isnt big enough to support Dafs being there, or at least not with anything else thriving for long. I want the greens of the Asters to be able to take over, as the Grape Hyacinths are persistent enough to push up between/through the Asters. Then come summer when the grapes are dormant again, the Asters will be blooming. My goal is for this to be the last year of needing to mulch that bed. It's a pain to get to. You have to step over the waterfall.

This is a pic from last Sept where you can see the whole bed (and the waterfall to hop over) ... once the nursery gets them in, I want to get a couple more yellow Aster (there's one in the back of the bed but you cant see it) to add (it has a more fern like leaf structure than normal Asters) ...

On the bottom edge of this picture, you can see what looks like a big white rock ... really isnt that big ... and it needs a second course of rocks ... I wanted to put Grape Hyacinths in this area up against the rocks, with Daffodils behind them (note where the windows are on the house, a good view from inside) ...

The opposite corner (under the fake golden Hinoki Cypress) that looks more like weeds, I planted some land iris' there.

The little mini bog area on the left corner of the picture (just extra liner with a few inches of gravel, I am not adding back parrots feather there this year, as that whole area will be filled with water celery, water parsley, and curlie mint. Last year when I planted the water celery and water mint, it was too hot, and it struggled, but sent out LOTS of roots, and is off to a really good start this spring ... just added a start of water parsley:)

Reaction score
sissy said:
I was just watching a garden show that shows new plants and see they came up with a purple and white hosta (well really lavender they said ) It won't be on the market for at least 4 or 5 years maybe .It was in test garden sight .That will be interesting to see if it pans out .They are having pest problems with it and some wilt and dieing off in both sun and shade they are saying .Plus they can't seem to get the color to be true .Geeze seems like they go through a lot for a plant .
The leaves are purple and white, or the flowers??? Sounds interesting, but if they are saying only 4-5 yrs, I think the early buyers may be disappointed in the long term. Not my strong point, but over time, hybrids tend to resort back to their earlier genes either in their offspring, or even the original plant if shocked was extreme enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
capewind said:
Have at it LOL ... I for one have been avoidiing the news after following most of the Boston Marathon Bombings coverage. I get too frustrated with how screwed up this country is and take some breaks from reality when I can.

Ha!...NO!

I just read so much negative stuff about Obama on this board that I thought I would mention that there are a couple other groups in Washington that aren't so wonderful either. :)

Reaction score
Someone was negative about Obama??? Noooooo ... you must be mistaken LMAO... I dont give Obama too much thought ... still wondering why that traitor hasnt been impeached LOL. Folks either love him or hate him. Seems to be NO middle ground there ...

As to the couple of other groups ... hell, they ALL have their "agendas" ... too few on the side of the people ... rephrase ... wayyyy too few on the side of LEGAL CITIZENS ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The leaves were purple and white and wondered about them reverting back .But they have come up with so many new plants in the last couple of years it is amazing .I bought the petunias 2 years ago the new wave ones and they have been coming back every year .I guess it has been mild enough for them .All the roots clog up my pumps so the new area in my water fall and the tank will hold plants since aggie and bert rip everything in the pond apart .

Reaction score
sissy said:
I bought the petunias 2 years ago the new wave ones and they have been coming back every year .I guess it has been mild enough for them .All the roots clog up my pumps so the new area in my water fall and the tank will hold plants since aggie and bert rip everything in the pond apart .
The wave petunias SHOULD be a perennial in your area ... they are in mine. If they ever dont come back, check the PH of the soil they are planted in. They will do "okay" for a season or two in clay (which has a high PH), but prefer a ph of 6-7. Do you have them planted in your pond??? wondering about them clogging your filter. Never tried them IN the pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It is very true that "designer plants" will revert back to their original color, and even faster if you mix the original plant with the new colored plant. I have had this happen to me with the purple flag iris, planted next to my Yellow flag iris, many many years ago, never got the nice purple flowers. I had visions of yellow and purple flag irises looking very pretty in my pond, but they were just visions, never happened!

Then I had the stripped tiger rush, it was yellow and green, and looked really good the first year.... but quickly reverted to just plain green!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score

KEEP PASSING THIS AROUND UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT... THIS IS SURE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!!!! THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMEN...T'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE SOCIAL SECURITY IS THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED A SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK!!! WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to Social Security, but your employer did, too. It totals 15% of your income before taxes. If you averaged only $30K over your working life, that's close to $220,500. Read that again!

Did you see where the Government paid in one single penny?

We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to insure you and I that we would have a retirement check from the money we put in, not the Government. Now they are calling the money we put in an ENTITLEMENT when we reach the age to take it back.

If you calculate the future invested value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (less than what the Government pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working you'd have $892,919.98. If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit! If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month. If you have a deceased spouses who died in their 50's -- their S.S. money will never have one cent drawn from what they paid into S.S. all their lives over the past 30 years!

THE FOLKS IN WASHINGTON HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER PONZI SCHEME THAN BERNIE MADOFF EVER DID.

Entitlement my foot, I paid cash for my social security insurance! Just because they borrowed the money for other government spending, doesn't make my benefits some kind of charity or handout!!

Remember Congressional benefits? --- free healthcare, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days.
Now that's welfare!!! And they have the nerve to call my social security retirement payments entitlements?!?

We're "broke" and we can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, or Homeless.
Yet in the last few months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile and Turkey. And now Pakistan......home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS... if not TRILLIONS of DOLLARS are unaccounted for!!!

They call Social Security and Medicare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives, and now, when it's time for us to collect, the government is running out of money. Why did the government borrow from it in the first place? It was supposed to be in a locked box, not part of the general fund.
Sad isn't it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
has any one seen the new API fish food I was looking at it on pet mountain .com seems like it has good stuff in it .They even put zeolite in the food .i am thinking about trying a small bag out .They also have the bigger air stones too for 99 cents

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
sissy said:
I love grape hyacinths and funny you never see them much down here
I think the grape hyacinth's don't have much of a smell but think that it's the regular hyacinth maybe that you are thinking of sissy. Maybe these that come in various colors? They have a heavenly scent that makes your socks roll up and down :cheerful:
xhyacinth1.JPG.pagespeed.ic.GPcDZ3Aoly.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the other hyacinths and the grape ones if they are planted in the right soil have a great smell too .A little sweeter smell than the regular ones .The regular ones sorta smell like lilacs to me .

Reaction score
Hubby has a client that is a bit of a pain in the arse ... great client/nice guy, but the type that has to mess with everything, and breaks things ... Well, this time, he broke multi pipes putting IN the UV for the season ... sigh ... hubby didnt install this pond, client called after the bought the house in '09 for help getting it going .. which has evolved into doing a lot of other work for him as well .. so anyways, hubby was scheduled to be there for a couple of days, and got the "while you are there" line about the broken pipes in the pond ...

Hubby said the heck with it, and redesigned an easy to use "pit" that hopefully this homeowner cant break. Thought I would post it here, as it would work well for most SMALL ponds, using an Irrigation Control Valve Box:)

With the UV in place (outlet is GFI) ...

With UV out ...

Ask a Question