Misc ramblings...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
Marriage is like a garden, plant seeds of love, and work the garden of love together, and then you both can find true happiness.... and I try hard not to take over the LoVLEY garden though ......
WOW COLLEEN... this is so insightful, poetic, inspiring, and thoughtful.... i think i shed a tear; oh wait that was some spray from opening my own beer!! lol
just kiddin'
anyways... spotted a heron out by the pond yesterday morning.... still empty of fish! i guess he found the fry pond tho. looks like maybe 1/3 of the ones i pulled out when i opened the pond up are missing... only 4 or so left over 3".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy shame on you stealing his veggie garden space and the eat his veggies after that . :cheerful:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
addy shame on you stealing his veggie garden space and the eat his veggies after that . :cheerful:
sigh, the veg garden is mine tooooooooooooo I grow them then make him eat them! One of the reasons he has lost 55 lbx

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
no one has to make me eat them :cheerful:
He was a eat out all the time, fast food eater. I just don't eat that way, so he has learned to eat my way...........somewhat healthy. We do have our vices, but overall healthy

Reaction score
That is so awsome!!!

Had a knock on the door this afternoon ... guy says he "heard" we had koi for sale ... totally stunned, as not many people know that we do ... after a game of 20 questions, realized it was the owner of one of the feed stores we do business with referred him ... he couldnt find our phone number (we did a lot of business with his dad who passed a couple years ago) ... so gave the guy directions to our house ... it was kind of freaky, but knew he was telling the truth ... anyways, he was complaining about what the local stores had ... sold two pond spawn fish (7 and 9") for $25 each. (3-4" retail locally at $20 ea, and 8" at $40 ea.) ... He is also interested in some of the outside fish (thinning the flock to make room) ... need to decide what would be a fair price to ask (14 and 22" butterflies) ... AND he wants some of the wee guys when they get bigger too (his 5000 gallon pond was recently cleaned out by a critter) ... Going to give him first picks before posting to Craigslist. Nice guy and found out we have friends in common:)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Howard, but I don't sell fish, that is the price I paid for a few koi several years ago at the pet store here in town. Everything in Canada is more money, and sometimes you can get a better deal buying in multiple's, like 3 small 2 or 3 inch koi for maybe 40 dollars. I will have to check the price again as I have not bought any for at least 3 or 4 years now.

My two oldest koi are 21 years old, and they never had babies cause I think they are both female. I was only going to keep the two as they get so large, but about four years ago I made the middle pond bigger so of course I thought I would buy some more now that the middle pond was bigger. Now those Koi are bigger, I moved one in with the two biggest koi to see if they may breed. I have been told now that the two big 21 year old koi, the eggs will be hard so they may not hatch if they breed. They I got to thinking about it and they are so big I am worried that they may accidentaly jump out of the pond breeding. So for now I will leave the small koi that I suspect may be male, and add extra protection along the pond edges. ....

if I ever get baby Koi I will most certainly "jump for joy"! I have lots of goldfish, but never had baby koi. These days I get very few babies as my pond sedges are overrun by dragonfly babies, but I am not willing to destroy the yellow flag for the sake of babies, (that will out grow my pond anyway) as the yellow flag is huge and floats naturally and is one of the main reasons my pond is so clean, as it cleans better than anything out there, and I have not had pea green water for 21 years... since I got that yellow flag. Large sedges are best for photosynthesis filtration, so this way I have a natural balance for my pond. :)

Attachments

• IMAG8128.jpg
    IMAG8128.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG8132.jpg
    IMAG8132.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG8098.jpg
    IMAG8098.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG8105.jpg
    IMAG8105.jpg