Misc ramblings...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by capewind, Jan 1, 2013.

1. capewind

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

1. Advertisements

2. capewind

capewind

That was sad to read, but very nice tradition to make.

My day just keeps getting better. I got a call from the gentlemen who took two of our pond spawn babies ... they are alive and well, and wants to come over in the next few days to take the three big fish I am willing to give up:) Thinking I;ll have to put it off til next week tho. Have another person coming out this weekend too for babies (inside and easy for ME to get) ...

capewind, May 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. capewind

capewind

okay .. I am sad this morning ... Last night the folks came to see the pond spawn babies ... took two koi about 9-10" and two comets (pond isnt that big, and told them that was all I was willing to sell them) ... felt good helping a novice and making another pond friend ... as I had already posted, the last babies we placed, that gentlemen wanted three of our bigger fish from outside ... Hubby is procrastinating going to work today so hits me with the when does he want to get him ... explain to hubby the gentlemen is understanding of his schedule, and doesnt mind waiting a couple of weeks or so ... so he tells me to call him to see if he is available .. he should be here in about 20 minutes:-( If I am going to place any of the kids I am attached to, this is the right home ... experienced ponder, and I have an open invitation to visit them (his house is maybe 10 minutes from here) ... It just sucks that today is actually THE DAY that they are going ....

capewind, Jun 1, 2013
    callingcolleen1, Big Lou and HTH like this.
  4. capewind

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Awe, babies are leaving home, some day soon you can visit with them. It is hard to let go of the bigger older ones and would break my heart too!

callingcolleen1, Jun 1, 2013
  5. capewind

capewind

Someday soon will be later today I think LOL. Hubby got the first two, the bigger two, within 5 minutes, but cant catch the third guy ... Pond is dirty, cant see more than 24" down ... The lower pond has about 35 fish in it, and I swear we could have caught every other fish out there ten times over, except for the one blue guy ... Had the two in the cooler for a good half hour, so sent him home to acclimate them to his pond and will try again later. Son tried again for a few minutes, and actually got him into the net, but he got out:-( Told hubby to shut the pump down, so all the muck settles (need a fines or sediment filter badly), and will do a partial water change tonight (from the bottom), and grab him while the water level is lower, and run him over to his new home.

capewind, Jun 1, 2013
    Big Lou likes this.
  6. capewind

Now I feel bad, blue fish desperate to stay with you and does not want to leave pond! I hate catching fish, it stresses the whole pond out, maybe just leave him and tell the guy that he just can't be caught right now, then save him for your new bigger pond! :)

callingcolleen1, Jun 1, 2013
  7. capewind

capewind

He cant go in the next pond, he's too big. Hubby has 16 pots of lilies going in the new pond, and if he ate any, he'd become a couple of fish sandwiches:-(

He is still out there for now ... just got back from working on the clients pond ... well, I did a lot of watching, hubby is still playing with rocks ... I did rob our pond of a bunch of plant starts for them tho and got what I could planted:)

capewind, Jun 1, 2013
    j.w and Big Lou like this.
  8. capewind

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    All of this rain and wind has my pond all untity. Time for algae killing again.

Big Lou, Jun 2, 2013
  9. capewind

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    Got bit by a yellow jacket today. Sure glad we keep bee & wasp sting balm on hand!

Big Lou, Jun 2, 2013
  10. capewind

[​IMG]

koiguy1969, Jun 2, 2013
    sissy, j.w and callingcolleen1 like this.
  11. capewind

Capewind, I had to move some medium sized 12 inch koi from the middle pond to the top pond so the koi would be more together, and I found that catching them at night with a light is much easier.

callingcolleen1, Jun 2, 2013
    HTH likes this.
  12. capewind

capewind

Thanks Colleen, and I know that tends to make life so much easier BUT tried that method last night and still couldnt get the little shit ... Have a lot of dirt blowing into the pond, so drained about 1200 gallons last night, and draining more tonight (draining the pond from the bottom) ... Going to drain about 25% to get some of the dirt out, so the water level will keep decreasing til we get the brat. If hubby doesnt get him tonight, I think he plans on going IN after him. Once the depth gets down to about 3' it wont be as bad.

capewind, Jun 2, 2013
    fishin4cars and j.w like this.
  13. capewind

Well good luck getting him, and sure is a lot of work, you have to mess up pond to catch him. How is the new pond coming?

callingcolleen1, Jun 2, 2013
  14. capewind

j.w I Love my Goldies

He'll catch him I bet if he goes in the pond. Sometimes they settle down when you are walking in there and come and nibble on you then you make your move!

j.w, Jun 2, 2013
  15. capewind

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

koiguy1969, Jun 2, 2013
    addy1 likes this.
  16. capewind

capewind

Just got back in a little while ago ... He (the fish) really isnt making more work, just forcing hubby to make the time to clean our pond. Hubby didnt even try tonight to get it. The buyer is awesome and understands how this goes. The fish is already paid for (offered to give the money back til he was caught), and says he will just hold our cooler that he borrowed hostage LOL... He would rather we take our time and not stress anyone. The difference between a novice and an experienced person.

Not sure if you are asking about our new pond, or the client ...

For us, still just a rough hole hubby dug that one day ... He is so backed up with work ... It's after 8 pm now, and is just getting around to adding water back to our pond ... with the rain coming, doesnt want to leave it so low another night:-(

As to the clients pond ... behind there too ... a few days lost due to rain (cant work there in the crap we've been getting), and the client keeps adding more things to the list. The pond is actually done, with the exception of needing a few rocks to hide the 100 gallon skippy (most of it is hidden), it really is just a handful of rocks left there ... between today and yesterday, I gave her all the plant starts I could spare (plants were not included but love this client) and got them all planted ... well, except for the water cress starts ... hubby has to plant those (he left holes in the waterfall for them) ... hubby and employee spent today rearranging her plants ... her yard is like a nursery LOL. I came home tonight with at least 100 iris plants (more of the purple we already have, some whites the same size, yellow flags, and a group of time will tell what color they are LOL), a big bucket of "ice plant"??? and more wild violets ... she would have given us more, but I had to say we had no more temp places to put things ... once we have more room tho, I'll definately get more:)

capewind, Jun 3, 2013
    Big Lou likes this.
  17. capewind

capewind

Sissy, I swear this fish knows we are only after him LOL ...

capewind, Jun 3, 2013
    callingcolleen1 and Big Lou like this.
  18. capewind

[​IMG]

koiguy1969, Jun 3, 2013
  19. capewind

[​IMG]

HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT (ALSO FOR ANTS & FLEAS)
    (And free from chemicals that poison the body)

Ingredients:

... 1/2 litre of alcohol
    100 gram of whole cloves
    100 ml of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
    Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
    Stir every morning and evening
    After 4 days add the oil
    It's now ready to use.

How to use:

Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.
    Observe the mosquitoes fleeing the room.
    Repels fleas on pets too

koiguy1969, Jun 26, 2013
    callingcolleen1 and addy1 like this.
  20. capewind

HTH Howard

Am in the middle of converting an old greenhouse to use as a fish house.

After about 2 hours of me working in it my wife came by and spotted this little fellow. She took this picture of a female black widow with egg case.

Roomie1closeup.jpg Closeup1.jpg

An nope I did not do that wiring :)

HTH, Jun 26, 2013
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question