Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
Well, I was looking out the window this morning, smiling that all the fishy kids are swimming around again, then my heart stopped, one of my favorites looked to be tangled up in the parrot feather vines that didnt get pulled in the fall, deceased ... grabbed the net, but where he was, I wanted to ripped out the vines first ... surprise surprise, he was just eating the hair algae:) Felt so much better ... Of course what I ripped out sent algae throughout the water, and then everyone knew I was out there, and looking very hungry (eating the algae now floating) .... decided to try to grab a picture of the koi kids awake;-)

The picture didnt come out great (too sunny), but decided to play a joke on hubby:) Going to upload this picture to his computer, as the background!!! The twisted humor was we were talking about the ponds (additional) again this morning before he went to work. During the conversation, I just had to let him know I saw Shadow and Pumpkin again a few days ago. These are two little comets that I think he would like to see a bird get:-( No matter what he has done, these two kids manage to get from the upper pond, back into HIS Koi only area... Told him this morning that he was a Fish Racist hehehe. He says I can have whatever I want for fish, and if need be, he'll keep building ME more ponds, but HIS area is koi only ...

If you look close at the Goromo in the upper left of the picture, you can see Pumpkin's little 4" orange body ... I'm just sad that I couldnt see through the camera to get Shadow in the picture as well;-) Ohhhh he is sooo not going to be pleased to SEE Pumpkin when he logs onto his computer tonight LMAO!

DSCN6042_zpsa0e3addd.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I keep the Koi in the top two ponds and my goldfish in the bottom pond. Every now and then a small koi will slip threw the water gate that pours to bottom pond and then I have to fish out the koi and put him back where he belongs. It has not happened for a long while, so hopefully they stay where they are supposed to! :)

Reaction score
I lost track of how many times he dragged the pond with the big net (5' x 10') or went swimming to get all the comets and shunkins out. AFTER that, and after he built a rock wall in the upper pond, these two got back into the koi area twice ... I told him this morning that when he gets the final pond in (now looking like two 50x50 liners that will LOOK like one pond), I'll spend the time to catch them, and put one in each pond;-)

Reaction score
All excited, the pond is showing signs of life:)

I spent about 5 minutes on Thursday ripping out some of the vines that had been left in, that were a magnet for the yucky hair algae. Probably got about a third out.

Sunday afternoon, hubby got the bucket (5 gallon nursery pot) running with pillow stuffing ... I just went outside to actually look at it ... yuck LOL. I need to go buy another pillow, didnt put much into the bucket, ran out, but you can see what is has already pulled out around the diffusor plate thingy...

DSCN6070_zpsa70f78b6.jpg

The best news is plants are coming to life:)

I dont even remember this reddish/pinkish plant ... doesnt mean much, I didnt know what most of the plants were that got put in LOL

DSCN6073_zps353d9ee6.jpg

It was hard to see outside with the camera, but the water celery is coming up all over this little "bed" (it's about 8' x 2.5' at the wider points - 6" deep) ... this was just some extra liner that didnt get trimmed off that hubby made sort of a mini bog area for me:) Really happy to see so much of it. I wanted this area FULL of it, but when I got a few clippings last summer, it was too hot. They sent out lots of runners, but the greens never did anything (except fry in the sun LOL) ...

DSCN6075_zps891680b2.jpg

I definately have some cleaning to do, but even the curlie mint came back ... I thought the little 3" pot of it died LOL

DSCN6077_zps7579aec6.jpg

and whatever this tiny grassy clump is, it decided to come back too:)

DSCN6081_zps9d045e58.jpg

the mare's tail was a funny little plant. It stayed green right through the end of January before dying ... lots of new life there, with some nasty algae to go with it too LOL.

DSCN6084_zps7c7dca51.jpg

Not too much longer and it will be time to plant more things ....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spring life is coming is back. On my list is mucking out my small stream ponds, they have a lot of dead matter in them and lots of new growth.

Reaction score
Wishing the warmer temps would get here and stay. Between now and Sunday, our best forcast is for tomorrow, with a high of 52. Today they are saying a high of 46 ... it's only 31 now. Havent checked the pond temp in a couple of days, but betting it has dipped back down below 50.

There's a little bit of leaves and what not on the bottom of the main pond ... thinking it will only take 5 - 10 minutes to get it, but want to see the water warmer first.

Spring is almost here ...

Reaction score
ohhh gawd, please no more snow ... even being sunny today, the fish say it is cold ... most are together in a group again, but not totally on the bottom... maybe 6" off the bottom LOL ... the wanderers are all about 3' deep too but at least out exploring ...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty soon all you guys will be getting that hot sun beating down on you and you won't be complaining about it being cold anymore. It will be so hot you will be sitting indoors w/ your air conditioning on and I will be sitting here in our 70* lovely weather thinking dearly of you all :biggrinangelA:

Reaction score
Feeling the hot sun coming through the skylights right now and loving it ... although I hate to admit I am getting a bit warm. Not feeling well, so hubby kicked the house heat up to 74 for me, and add in the 3 skylights, well, I tossed the blanket aside LOL.

Other than the occasional hot day, AC is only needed here for about 2 weeks out of the year. We are surrounded on all sides by ocean. Really, we are an island, but we have two bridges to connect us to the mainland. I was too cheap to put AC in the house, but the familyroom, foyer, office, and bedrooms, all have ceiling fans LOL It was one of the smartest things i did when designing the house... in the summer, it moves cooler air, and in the winter, it moves the heat from the wood stove:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you aren't feeling well CW and hope you get better soon. I had a bug or something for a couple days and all better now.

I'd be the same way w/ AC and would choose the cheap fans rather than spend the big bucks. I laugh at people around here who come from hot weather states and say " what you don't have any air conditioning up here?" :LOL: We get 2 o3 hot days in the Summer if lucky :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks JW, I am okay. Will be 45 this year and at the very start of perimenopause. Doc put me on 5 mg prednisone to help, which it did, but took the last one today and had to get him on the phone to find out if he was renewing the script or switching it. He switched it to 10 mg provera. Hopefully the side effects are easier to deal with. Today was hell with the hot/cold flashes and cramping (when I got cold, I was FREEZING). About to INSIST he just removes all that plumbing, I dont need it anymore, but he has already told me I am still young LOL. So far all he has found "wrong" is typical for my age LOL. Ive about had it with this crap LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just gave up trying to fight w/ it and am going w/ the flow. I don't take anything. Nothing works! When I get hot I turn on the fan.........when I get cold I put on a sweater. It is I believe wearing off some tho as I go but my doc told me his mother of 84 still gets all those symptoms............YIKES!

Ask a Question