sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
3 bat houses and all taken .We also get barn owls .I see the bats here all the time ,they come out of the woods and I have been making more houses for them because they also eat the beetles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I put up a small dual chamber (store bought) bat house last year or so ago. It is cedar, and had chambers of the recommended spacing for bats in our area, so I went with it. I noticed it had warped a bit but it didn't keep one little bat from spending most of the Winter in it. So back in March I built the second bat house out of scrap wood. Dual chamber, 3/4" spacing, grab grooves, front vent slot, and the inner chamber wall is positioned for ventilation. I'm not sure if any bats are using it yet, but we'll see.
bathouses.jpg

newbats.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wait to go out into the woods until the ticks are gone .They are really bad this year .I drive my mower along the edge of the woods and can get ticks on me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wait to go out into the woods until the ticks are gone .They are really bad this year .I drive my mower along the edge of the woods and can get ticks on me
The brush under these bat houses includes thorn covered vines, so I'll have to wait until Fall for them to die back so I can whack my way back in there. Then I can check the ground around the poles for guano.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bats work in the evening and are enjoyable to watch their aerobatics. However, be warned that they are temperature sensitive. You may have to bunch a number of houses together facing different directions so that the bats can relocate to more suitable temperatures. Swallowtails and bluebirds work the daylight hours and are very effective. Bluebirds are very fussy requiring you to research their requirements; what works up north usually does not work in the south - such as grouping houses. Enjoy.

Ask a Question