My 1st FORMAL POND - Seeking Input

Reaction score
Yes, there you go! That jet is called a TPR (you can google TPR and pond to read more about them). I have 3 TPR's on my pond and they do exactly what you are describing. i have one under my waterfall and two on the opposite wall.

The layout your are proposing now is a river flow design. It is basically the most efficient way to set up a pond for maintenance. Slope your pond bottom down toward the BD.

Great, if your layers haven't been anchored together then you can drive rebar from the top all the way through to the bottom then. That will help with any movement for sure.

I would do a pre-filter on your Ultima if that's the route you are taking. A small barrel of maybe 25 gallons will serve this purpose. If you go to the DIY section, you will see builds for these. I have one posted on there that is a 25g one, as an example. You would have your BD feed into this prefilter (also known as a settlment chamber) and then the cleaned water would go to your Ultima filter. That's exactly how I had it set up.

Reaction score
Thought I'd post an update. It's a journey. :claphands:
Ordering the custom box welded liner next now that the bottom drain is cemented in place.

Can't wait ... the rest of the limestone is standing by to be laid down once the liner is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_3649.jpg
    IMG_3649.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 395
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
looks like youve got a handle on things....nice project! is the pond going up above gronud any? if not how deep is it?

Just 2" of limestone coping and pavers to finish the upper deck. At 13' x 3' x 24" deep my pond is more a water feature built for fish than a true koi pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
if this is a koi pond, then keep in mind that the size of a pond dictates how many fish you can have even if you over filter. at 600 gallons, the most full sized 27 inch, 11 pound fish you can have is 3 using a standard of 20 gallons per pound. you really need to plan based on the presentation you want in the end. of course a full sized koi takes maybe 8 years to reach that weight, so you have plenty of time, but 20 gallons per pound is the lower end of the standards range. 80 gallons per pound is the upper range, so you might have one fish. just remember you are planning for koi and they get big. you will never have one of the 43 inch monsters due to the cost, but it's smart to plan with the end in mind.

the other issue is creature comfort for koi. they are skittish, prey fish that freak out when a cloud passes over. and they jump. if your sidewall is vertical that's good to keep the fish safe. but the idea of a 3 foot deep pond gives them peace of mind and calms them.

if you are building an aquascapes pond, then they put rocks over the liner, and your pond will not have the depth you planned. then there is the issue of rocks. i am not a rocks fan because of the damage and cleanliness problems, but the that's me. just make sure you are getting what you planned to have based on size limitations and the nature of koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking great there. You could think goldfish, shubunkins rather than koi for that size of pond. Ours is big but we are still not doing koi, want to have plants and no worries about expensive koi being eaten by predators.

Will be neat to see the finished project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have trees near your pond?
If so you'll be sorry if you didn't put a larger drain in.

Reaction score
Pond pump and filter all connected, no leaks, the UV Filter is working amazingly, and the water is all clear. My feeder goldfish (that haven't ventured too close to the bottom drain) are all thriving. Now I just have to finish laying the stonework, and connect the Atlantic Colour falls off of the back wall. FYI, the wood planks are just protecting the pond liner from the sun until the limestone coping stones are installed.

Attachments

• IMG_4098.JPG
    IMG_4098.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4092.JPG
    IMG_4092.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 352

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your Canada and only 2 feet deep and thats a small pond for koi .My koi in 7 years are over 2 feet long ..The freeze there may give you problems also ,you may need to invest in some good heaters

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments sissy. FYI, I tested the pond last winter by floating pre-cut sheet of "pink" insulation on the top, with one small hole cut out for a common round floating heater and an air exchanger. The pond only froze with about 2" of ice and we had a normal (cold) winter. I will test it out with live goldfish this winter, and see how they do. I may add a couple of inexpensive koi just for fun as I've never had them. The filtration will support them, and I can always sell the koi should they start to become to big for the pond. I will likely only be in the home for 5 more years so not too worried about how big they will become anyway. I also thought they'd adjust to the size of the pond. i.e. if the pond is smaller they will remain a bit smaller or grow more slowly?

your Canada and only 2 feet deep and thats a small pond for koi .My koi in 7 years are over 2 feet long ..The freeze there may give you problems also ,you may need to invest in some good heaters

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That has really come a long way from the beginning. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Looking good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond is looking great, the fish will grow even in a smaller pond. Goldfish and shubunkins can be really pretty and not as fussy as koi, unless you have your heart set on koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If I had to do it over again I would have went with goldfish much simpler to take care of and not so much work .I had ice thicker than that last winter and our average temp here is 55 .We got snow here on Christmas and temps dropped to 5 degrees and have not seen that since I have been down here .Last 2 winters nasty ,winters before did not get cold until the middle of January .Christmas and new years 70 degrees .Hope this winter we go back to normal .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think your a wee bit late suggesting where he needs to put the skimmer since it was installed uh, a year ago>>>>>>>>>>>> :lamp5: :ideacyclops:

Ask a Question