1st Pond, 2nd Attepmt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hello everyone. I started installing a pond over 4 yrs ago. Did some research, dug a hole, added a liner and some water but decided the location was all wrong and filled the hole back in! After just a little more research, like 4 yrs worth, we are ready to try again. I'd love to share the journey with you all and get your advice and feedback.

Main pond will be about 10' x 15' x 3' with a rock ledge, near vertical walls, bare bottom, one or 2 small steps in a corner for stairs, no plant ledges. Main pond will overflow into a gravel pit which will house the pumps and act as a large skimmer (negative/vanishing edge skimmer). A hydrive 4800 (5100gph @250 watts) will feed the 3ft waterfall which will be the start of a 22ft stream that enters into the pond. A second pump, not yet purchased, will feed the 10' x 3' x 1' bog and empty into the pond by way of a small 4ft brook. Simple right!? :confused:

Some background info for anyone interested, by way of pictures.

The area
QuickyardUPDATED.jpg

The yard right after filling in the old pond (Then)
100_3417-1.jpg

A little to the right, our first baby rock pile, it's so cute! The 1st pond was to the right farther wedge into the corner of the house.
100_3416-1.jpg

Back over to the left
100_3418-1.jpg

Left further
100_3419-1.jpg

Moving between the garden and the shed
100_3420-1.jpg

Moving forward from there and turning left
100_3398-1.jpg

Forward more and turning left more
100_3401-1.jpg

And a nice stump to remove
100_3399-1.jpg

And Now! Well last yr actually.

Stepping off the deck looking left. Removed the propane tank, shed with 1ft thick concrete floor, dog pen, small metal shed, solar panels for the pool and that huge stump which took weeks! Added a fence around this whole section of yard.
100_6062.jpg

From the back corner of the garden behind where that propane tank was. Build a new screen house, one of the main viewing areas for the pond.
100_6063.jpg

Looking from the opposite corner of the last photo.
100_6066.jpg

And from the back corner looking back towards the house. The little room on the deck will probably be moved next year. Most of those bushes have been removed too and the composter is moving.
100_6065.jpg

Next post we will talk about details but this one is long enough. Any questions? ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow you are doing a lot of changes, moving stuff and working like crazy getting ready for this nice big new pond.
Looks like a very nice spot you have picked for the pond and a nice deck next to it also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like you have a lot of work done and still more you want to do .gotta love your baby rock pile .Any streams near you can help and farms are always stock piling rocks you can ask for and they are glad to get rid of them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks j.w and sissy! I live in a very sandy/loamy area so not many natural rocks in our streams or farm lands unfortunately. Since I live in such a sandy location do you think I should use the overpriced underlayment or could do with simple carpet? I have enough underlayment to do the main pond but need more for the huge 9x5x4 basin, the stream and waterfall area. Liner was $0.52 a sqft when I bought what I have, now it is up to $0.89! I can imagine the underlayment has gone up just as much.

Some pictures of the 1st attempt pond to show the soil, it was raining, sorry.

EDIT: the wheel barrel just has some concrete that was buried in that location.

100_2474.jpg

100_2469.jpg

100_2472.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Or what about landscaping fabric?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found underlayment for $0.15 a sqft. :cool:

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Our soil is quite sandy here also w/ hardly any rocks ever and I just used a bunch of old thick blankets. Its been fine for 12yrs now. Use whatever is cheapest and that underlayment sounds pretty cheap so go for it :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used roofing paper and then pond underlayment i got free from a friend in NJ .He even shipped it to me free

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I enjoyed looking at those pictures. I think carpet would be ok. I am in central jersey and had nothing but rocks. I did a small pond about 4' by 4' and dug it up a year later and the carpet looked just like it did when I put it down. It was that heavy duty office type carpet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is now they are recycling carpet now so here you cannot get it unless you have your own that you are taking up yourself .Roofing paper is cheap and seems to last forever also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thing is now they are recycling carpet now so here you cannot get it unless you have your own that you are taking up yourself .Roofing paper is cheap and seems to last forever also .

I did not know they were recycling carpet now. I thought roofing paper was thin but next pond I build I will check into it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on what weight you but .It comes in 15 lb 30 lb and 60 lb .i used 30 lb and put my pond underlay on top of it .I had it under my other liner also but none of the pond underlay

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Newspapers, cardboard, carpet, padding, old blankets. With your sandy type soil I would not worry too much. Here we had nothing but rocks in a little bit of dirt, I used carpet pad, the cheap stuff. (bought new to go under a pond liner lol)

That is going to be really nice when you are done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Moving along... I have most of my parts ordered now, just need to figure out in pond lighting, there are so many options! Currently have about 8 tons of stone in the yard and we still need A LOT more.

Our BIG rock pile, 4 tons, 18-24"+
IMG_0505.jpg

Some supplies for the bog and skimmer basin.
IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

We actually added supports to that green tub and drilled it plus some barrels yesterday but I forgot to take pictures. :oops:

Kinda hard to see but we marked out the waterfall, stream, pond, basin and bog. Oh and built a little canopy for some much needed shade!
IMG_0503.jpg

Today we went through nearly 2 tons of 2-3" rocks by hand picking out the sharp and pretty ones. A little over cautious but we found a lot of unfriendly stones and a lot of nice ones I wouldn't want in the unseen in the bottom of my pit. :)

Tomorrow we will build the pump vault and finish washing and hand sorting the 2-3" rocks, that'll probably take the whole day lol. We are in no rush, just want it done by winter along with a few other sizable projects. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok, a very poor quickly done outline. The waterfall and bog are fed from the basin.
343f6b25-1b43-4651-b572-1a645c7be7cc.jpg

Ask a Question