water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lee said:
ok then mite raise the water level but on the other hand if we get heavy rain it mite over flow

You can put in overflow pipes, i.e. pick an area that is slightly lower than the rest of the pond edge, lay on the liner 2 inch 3 inch pvc or whatever type of pipes you want, Cover with one of your rocks, have the overflow pipe go to a gravel pit, a low area, outside of the pond, anywhere it will run away from the pond.

Also point away from any structure you don't want to have a lot of water.

This will handle any sudden down pours and you could still keep your pond full.

lee

Reaction score
thats a gd idear a will have to look in to that and my low point and as for a gravel pit a have just add turf layd so a dont fink a wont to be digging this up do u lol any over idears ?

lee

Reaction score
thats a gd idear a will have to look in to that and my low point and as for a gravel pit a have just add turf layd so a dont fink a wont to be digging this up do u lol any over idears ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It can overflow into turf as long as it flows away from your pond. So if you have a slight up slope before the edge of your pond, (I can't tell in the pictures) the overflow would path away from it. Also the up slope will help keep any heavy storms from flooding it.

If it is flat on the ground an easy fix would be to pull the rocks and use dirt, or what ever to build up the edge of the pond, until it is higher than the rest of the turf. Then replace the rocks. (well not so easy cuase you would have to move all the rocks.)
But that would help out also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It can overflow into turf as long as it flows away from your pond. So if you have a slight up slope before the edge of your pond, (I can't tell in the pictures) the overflow would path away from it. Also the up slope will help keep any heavy storms from flooding it.

If it is flat on the ground an easy fix would be to pull the rocks and use dirt, or what ever to build up the edge of the pond, until it is higher than the rest of the turf. Then replace the rocks. (well not so easy cuase you would have to move all the rocks.)
But that would help out also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On the end outside of the pond, make it long enough to go where ever you want it to. Use a gutter flow director, concrete or plastic. Or put one of those gutter drain things on the pipe that expand when water is running thru it other wise it is collapsed.

Or do you mean out of the pond? You would need to seal around the pipe with the pond foam, or something that is water proof so the water can just go down the pipe and not around it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On the end outside of the pond, make it long enough to go where ever you want it to. Use a gutter flow director, concrete or plastic. Or put one of those gutter drain things on the pipe that expand when water is running thru it other wise it is collapsed.

Or do you mean out of the pond? You would need to seal around the pipe with the pond foam, or something that is water proof so the water can just go down the pipe and not around it.

lee

Reaction score

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 274

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would work great, figure out how full you want the pond to be, the more the liner is covered up the better, they don't like sun on them, and it will look better without the liner showing. The other thing you could use is the rock on a roll, they have talked about in here, to cover the liner, if you want to keep the water lower. I have never used it, but a lot of the people in here says it looks pretty natural.
http://www.rock-on-a-roll.com/

If you have a plant shelf in the pond i.e. around the edges it is more shallow, you could stack some rocks to help cover the liner.

Put your overflow pipe in that corner, so when the water gets higher than you want it to be it will go out the overflow into your yard.

Keep up the good work, ponds are always a work in progress.

Where is warrington?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would work great, figure out how full you want the pond to be, the more the liner is covered up the better, they don't like sun on them, and it will look better without the liner showing. The other thing you could use is the rock on a roll, they have talked about in here, to cover the liner, if you want to keep the water lower. I have never used it, but a lot of the people in here says it looks pretty natural.
http://www.rock-on-a-roll.com/

If you have a plant shelf in the pond i.e. around the edges it is more shallow, you could stack some rocks to help cover the liner.

Put your overflow pipe in that corner, so when the water gets higher than you want it to be it will go out the overflow into your yard.

Keep up the good work, ponds are always a work in progress.

Where is warrington?

Ask a Question